6 - Above And Below

Even though Zedaph's day was pretty much all over the place, the glitched portal kind of put the icing on the cake.

His day had started out somewhat normal--a few pranks here and there, maybe, but you had to stir it up sometimes when it came to living in the Aether.

That's right. The Aether. The home to all the angels that have done good in their lives.

And, no. They didn't live on a fluffy cloud in the sky.

On the contrary, the Aether looked just like the living world--or in this case, the Overworld. Here, though, everything was unnaturally sunny all the time and no hostile monsters would appear. It was like an oversaturated Overworld where nothing bad happened and you couldn't feel pain.

In short, it was the Overworld almost all mortals wanted.

But, when you got to actually ending up here, you realize...well, it's not so great after all.

Don't get him wrong, Zed loved the Aether. But it was a bit boring sometimes. The other angels here just liked to sit back and relax, taking an eternal break from their lives. They just wanted to chill.

Zed wasn't like that. He couldn't just do the same thing over and over. His life--well, death--style was all over the place, bouncing from one activity to another. And as such, he tried to make the other angels see that, too.

Unfortunately, his actions weren't exactly welcomed.

"Hey! That's the third time this week you've replaced sugar with salt in my bakery!"

Zed leaned against a nearby tree, watching with amusement as the village's baker spat out a cookie he was tasting. "You should know by now I'm going to do it!" he called back.

The baker yelled back a few choice words. Zed chuckled and walked away. It was only noon and he was already stirring up trouble. A typical day here.

If the Aether was the same thing over and over, what was the Overworld like? Sometimes, Zed had odd fantasies about what life was like back in the Overworld. His death wasn't that long ago--what was it now, nearing 2 years in the Aether?

Some of the others have been around for 200, 300 years. They were completely out of the loop for the Overworld--some of them thought it was still the dark days when coal blocks didn't exist and everyone was plagued with the legend of Herobrine.

Zed remembered having a small, solitary base. There was a group of people he used to hang out with, but their bases were relatively spread out. It took maybe 5 minutes by Elytra to get to the next person's base. Of course, you could always use the Nether hub.

But here's the problem: Zed had a bad history with the Nether.

After all, it's where he died.

...Oh, were you expecting some exposition? Nope. That's a story for another time.

For now, let's just say it involved lava lakes, broken Elytras, and a glitched portal.

Anyway. Zed was walking through the worn paved stone path of the village when he found himself standing in front of the portal that took you to other places in the Aether.

The Aether was quite a large world, and angels didn't have wings, so it resulted in an Overworld-like portal hub, although it didn't take you to the Nether. It was a weird system, but it saved everyone from physical exertion (unless you were one of those odd people that liked exercise), so everyone was happy.