Chapter 39: Little Bird

"Feels like it was only yesterday that we came back here."

Katherine sat down on her bed in the Hufflepuff dormitory, her best friend taking a seat right next to her.

"Yeah," Annie sighed. "Except neither of us are single now," she nudged her shoulder.

"How come you signed the form as well?"

"Even though I've had a crush on Chase for forever, I don't want him to stay with me because of a Law. I have to see if he truly likes me for me, you know?"

"Yes, I understand," she nodded.

The door to their dorm suddenly opened, revealing a familiar face.

"Did you miss me?"

"Mary!" Both of the girls grinned, greeting their friend.

"Seems like we're roommates again," the girl smiled back at them as she made her way inside.

"What happened to you and Adam?" Annie asked.

"I dumped him."

"You what?!"

"Don't worry," she waved her hand. "It's not like he's heartbroken or anything. And there's no bad blood either, we're just better off as friends, that's all," she shrugged.

"But you said..."

"We got along in a weird way, yes, but we didn't really click like you guys did. We became good friends, but there's just something missing, you know? But it's fine, I didn't want a boyfriend anyway, not to mention a husband."

"Or kids," Annie added.

"Right."

"Or picking out the perfect wedding dress," the ginger continued. "And the right venue, the flowers, the invitations, what song to have our first dance to, or –"

"Hey," Mary interrupted her. "I know you signed the form, but maybe you should still start planning."

She just threw a pillow at her, making them laugh.

"The wedding has to be perfect," she straightened her back.

"No," Mary crossed her arms. "It's the relationship that has to be perfect."

"Does the perfect relationship even exist, though?" Katherine tilted her head. "I don't think that anything needs to be perfect. Just real."

"Do you want to pursue a career as a Philosopher, Kat?" Her friend asked sarcastically.

"No, I want to be a Herbologist," she smiled.

"Ooh, I'm going to be a Muggle expert," Annie broke out in a grin.

"That shouldn't be hard as a muggle-born," Mary chuckled.

"What about you?"

"Something with Quidditch, obviously."

"That's great!" Katherine clapped. "But hey... Do you guys know anything about Tony?"

"Oh, he should be back here in his dorm already."

"He signed the form?!"

"No, Pansy did."

"Really?"

"Yes, but they're still together," Annie explained. "In fact, I don't even know if anyone is going to go through with the Marriage Law."

"It doesn't matter," Mary shrugged. "The Ministry still won."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, they created a bunch of couples, and even if they won't get any babies in a year, they will get a lot of them in the future. It's just a matter of time."

"That's true," the brunette nodded.

"Of course, now they look like heroes because they gave us an option to get away from a problem that they caused us in the first place," she scoffed. "Oh well, at least it's over now. We still have our N.E.W.T.s at the end of the year, though, so I think I'll head over to the Library. Are you two coming?"

"No, I think I'll go look for Chase," Annie shook her head.

"I'll come," Katherine stood up.

"Great. Let's go, then."

The two girls left the Hufflepuff Common Room and started walking towards the Library.

"To be honest, I missed you guys," Mary said. "I know we still met sometimes, but I missed sharing a dorm with you. No offence to the people I shared a Common Room with, but it just wasn't the same."

"I know what you mean," she nodded. "The Hufflepuff Common Room just has the best vibes, right? Nothing else can compare."

"Indeed."

After they entered the Library, they started searching for the books they needed.

"I think I'll look in the Reference Section," Mary said.

"Oh, okay. I'll go to the Legal Section, I'll find you later."

"Sure, I'll be there somewhere."

Katherine nodded, then walked over to one of the most unpopular sections in the Library.

She was concentrating on reading the book spines when she heard a voice coming from behind her.

"Hello, little bird. I heard you're free from your cage."

The Hufflepuff turned around, coming face-to-face with none other than Aiden Stone.

"Oh, hi," she greeted him quietly.

"Is it true, then?" He cocked an eyebrow at her. "Are you free?"

"Well... Yes and no."

"Meaning?" Aiden gave her a questioning look.

"We don't have to get married and stuff anymore, but I'm still his girlfriend," she explained.

"What?" His eyes widened. "You're still together with him? Willingly?"

"Yes," she nodded.

"But why?"

"Because I love him," the girl answered casually.

"You... Wow..." He glanced down, running his hands through his black hair.

"Why are you so shocked?"

"Am I not allowed to be?" He crossed his arms over his chest.

"You are, but... You just look... I mean... You shouldn't stress over unnecessary things, that's bad for your health."

"Thanks for being concerned about me, but I think I'll manage," Aiden nodded. "You should be worried about your own health since you decided to stay with him."

"Draco's not bad for my health," Katherine shook her head.

"Let's hope you're right... Anyway, I'm looking for a book about Dragon Species, have you seen one?"

"Uh... I doubt that there's a book about that in the Legal Section. Why don't you look in the Dragon Section?"

"There's a Dragon Section?" The Gryffindor looked at her with a surprised expression.

"Yes, how come you don't know?" She furrowed her eyebrows. "You're in your sixth year!"

"I don't come here often," he shrugged.

"No offence, but it shows."

"I'm not offended," he waved his hand. "I'll leave you to your books, then. See you around, I guess."

With that said, he turned around and walked away to try and find the book he was looking for, leaving Katherine alone, but for real that time.