Chp. 28

-

RILEY'S POV-

The next morning I woke up, groggy as hell form the previous night. The scare with Bren had opened my eyes, he really was dangerous, physically and mentally. I didn't know what I was going to do about him... but he was obviously a threat to Jenson.

I sat up, looking down at Jenson who was still asleep. She was dreaming, it was a good dream, she was happy, and I wish  

I knew what it was about.

Unfortunately I couldn't read her mind.

I wish I could though, I wish I could know what she wanted from me, what she needed to make her love me... I wanted to be with her. I wanted to show her the right love, the love she had been searching for in all the wrong places.

I turned on my side, holding my head up with my arm. I stroked Jenson's cheek, wondering what she could be thinking about.

Her eyes fluttered open, I smiled, and she did to, but she was disoriented.

She rubbed her eyes, looking at me, "Last night was... insane."

I smiled, "Just a tad."

She looked at me, stroking the back of my head, "How does it feel?"

I shrugged, "Just a little soar."

Then all of a sudden, Jenson's phone rang out. She picked it up, typing rapidly and setting it down again, locking eyes with me.

"Jake?"

She nodded slowly, "He wants to go on a date tonight."

I felt a pang in my heart, of course he did... I nodded, getting up and walking to the bathroom, leaving Jenson sitting in my bed. She was looking at me, I could feel her eyes on me as I brushed my teeth from the bathroom.

Why Jake? What has he given you that I haven't? Cause I know I've given you a hell of a lot more then he has.

Eventually Jenson was on her date, I was sitting in the back of Jake's truck listening to them talk intently about lat night.

I rolled my eyes, I should've told Jenson how he was hitting on that girl when she was waiting for me in the car. Although I had said I was no longer going to interfere, and she was going to have to learn the hard way this time.

They arrived at a fancy restaurant I was wondering why Jake was bringing her here...

I sat in the car, even though I wanted to know the bullshit he was going to feed her this go round. I was hoping Jenson would just realize how stupid and full of shit he was... but she refused to open her eyes.

I was sitting in my bed, I felt hopeless. I was feeling everything Jenson was... and it was intense. They had gotten into the car after the date, and Jake had started groping her and I couldn't stay there and watch it. I was waiting for them to stop, although I wanted to scare the shit out of them just so they would.

Finally Jake had decided to stop trying to get in Jenson's pants and bring her home, then he dropped her off at her house.

But instead of going with Jenson... I was with Jake.

Why him, Jenson? Why? After everything you knew about him because of me, because of everything I had told you... Jake wasn't the best person, he had problems, he was dangerous. He liked sex, he partied, he played girls like they were a board game.

And yet you still let him feel you up.

He was driving, on the phone with Jenson actually, and he was driving a little to fast, but I wasn't in danger. He was.

He smiled, "Well I'm glad you had a good night.... Ok.... Yea love you, drive safe. Goodnight."

I felt the rage burn in my chest, Love you? They had known each other 3 months, how could they already "love" each other?

You love Jenson, Riley, must not be that hard...

Then Jake started dialing, and it wasn't Jenson, "Hey babe, yea I just left work, how's your night?..... Can I come over?.... Ok, I'll be there in a few. Love you."

He hung up the phone, and I felt the rage inside take over, I yelled, "You're a sick bastard!"

His head snapped to the right, and he was staring straight at me, but he couldn't see me, I knew better. I looked at the road, shit, I whispered, "Jake stop!"

It was to late. He was going to wreck.

***

I was sitting in my bed, crying, "Jake I'm so sorry..."

***

I was woken up by a phone call from Jenson, she sounded startled, she had been crying, and then it reregistered.

She sobbed, "Riley... Jake, he's been in a car wreck. He's been air lifted to the hospital, it's not good Riley..."

"Do you want me to come with you?"

She sobbed, "Yes..."

Eventually Jenson was sitting in my drive way waiting for me. We dashed to the hospital, running into his parents and a couple of his good friends.

The only thing that stopped me in my tracks was... they were all either sobbing hysterically, or completely depressed. I swallowed hard, This isn't good...

I walked up to Kylan, he looked up, his bloodshot eyes piercing through mine, as if he was accusing me of this accident.

Then again maybe he should.

"Jake's... Jake's dead Riley... he died about five minutes ago."

I felt my heart wrench from pain, No... Jake was... dead.

And it was all my fault.