十五 [2]

B R O T H E R S    I N   A R M S ― 2

[Itachi]

     I stared at the photo of the Golden Trio. It shook slightly in my hands. I'd taped it back together (albeit terribly), the corners had frayed and none of the pieces lined up as symmetrical as they once were. 

     I ran my fingers over the tape which distorted the smoothness of the film. It made the centre of the photo opaque, clouding Etsuko's image. Even as children, her eyes were slanted towards Shisui who had an oblivious smirk on his lips. All of our faces showed a care free expression that conveyed our innocence, and now what do we have?

      I sighed as my thumb brushed over the tape. I was so stupid, just as Etsuko said. I couldn't give up a priceless friendship for Lord Third, not even for a village. Without Etsuko and Shisui, my life wouldn't be worth living.

      Leaves fell from above onto the photo. I could tell from the grunt that followed, Shisui was here. I looked up to see him tangled in the branches of the tree. I couldn't blame his idiocy, for once. He wore a large cloak that seemed to act as a tent on his frame, and the mask he was given seemed to droop slightly on his face. Once Shisui fell to the ground, he tore off the disguise. 

     "A little warning would've been nice," Shisui adjusted his crooked Konohagakure headband and got off the ground.

     "I sent Kuchibashi to advise you of the meeting, that was warning enough," I replied.

      "Dumb-arse, I needed more than two hours to fabricate a lie to feed Etsuko," Shisui huffed and raked a hand through his dark curls. "I had to say that Lord Third requested me. . .but as if she'd believe that," Shisui's tone suddenly went serious once he realised we weren't alone. "So this is it, huh?"

     "You have to understand that I have no choice," I referred to my father's men that were hidden in the canopies and bushes surrounding the wood. On my signal they would pounce on Shisui, but it would be an act, a ploy to lure Etsuko away from the Foundation. "If you ever want to keep Etsu―"

       "Don't," Shisui looked away from me with a scowl. "Don't say her name. It's hard enough already, just. . .don't." 

        I cocked my head. It had only become a recent development about his feelings for Etsuko. Personally, I thought he felt for her out of pity instead of true love, but even I could be wrong. I waited for a moment in case Shisui wanted to enlighten me on his situation, but he remained silent.

    "You do realise what I have to do, right?" I spoke slowly so each word could sink in. "I can't pick either one of you to survive. . .if Etsuko comes snooping like you arranged, we have to make it believable that you both are going to be sentenced to death."

        "Enough with the lies Itachi," Shisui rubbed at his onyx eyes. "I'm sick and tired of everything. I can't stand my own clan, I'm irritable when it comes to simple tasks of an average Shinobi and I can't even spend time with you and Etsuko without you being at her throat. I'm just so tired of it all, the constant conflict that has no end."

      "Shisui what are you―?" he cut me off.

      "I want to die, Itachi," Shisui looked up at me with his Mangekyou. "You and I both know that Danzo will not stop until he has my Mangekyou, and by pretending to lock me up in jail won't throw him off. The pain I have to live through daily is excruciating and I can't continue. I try to fake my happiness to the point where I think my life will get better. . .but it never does. My parents are dead and I'm still left with the truth of being branded a traitor by your father. When Etsuko comes here, just get it over and done with, I don't want to be a part of it."