04. hide the glow

It was the next day when Brynley sat in her bedroom, on a phone call with Tyler.

"Ty, I'm so sorry." Brynley apologized once more.

"Relax B, you were in the hospital less than 24 hours ago, you should be resting," Tyler spoke through the phone. "Besides, I'm sure my dad in the afterlife doesn't mind that you aren't here."

"I wish I could be there," Brynley sighed. "But my dad doesn't even want me getting up for food. My vision blacked out one time in the hospital and all of sudden he's afraid that I'm pass out if I leave my bed."

"You have a concussion, Bryn," Tyler reminded. "You need to rest. Hey, people are starting to get here, I'll talk to you later."

"Okay, tell your mom that my dad and I are sending our condolences." Brynley hung up the call and dropped her phone. She looked down at the silver bracelet that sat on her wrist and remembered how right before the accident, the bracelet unclipped and fell off her wrist. Then the glowing and sparkling started. Brynley slowly unclipped the bracelet and lifted her hands up, the gold sparkles immediately appearing.

"What am I?" Brynley whispered to herself before she looked in the mirror that was near her bed, noticing her eyes were sparkling gold too.

"Bryn, do you want- Oh my god." Evan walked into the room and Brynley looked at him.

"Dad, you said you would explain everything once I'm home and safe," Brynley sighed and clipped her bracelet back on, her eyes and hands turning to normal. "I'm home and safe."

"Okay," Evan agreed and sat down on the bed. "Your mother, you know nothing about her, except what I've told. I haven't told you a lot, blossom. I want you to understand that I'm about to tell you about a whole other world. Are you ready for that?"

"Yes." Brynley nodded.

"Your mother is a fairy." Evan told her bluntly and Brynley almost let out a laugh.

"A what? Like Tinkerbell?" Brynley giggled.

"I'm serious Brynley-Bell, your mother is a fairy. She can do magic, she has wings and a wand, and one day so will you." Evan explained.

"I'm a fairy too?" Brynley questioned and Evan nodded.

"The gold specks on your hands, that's fairy dust, ya basically the power inside you. Hold on," Evan stood up and walked out of the room. He came back holding a big blue box that had 'For my beautiful baby B," written on it. "Your mom left this for you the day she left."

Brynley sat up and took the lid off the box. Inside the box were multiples books and journals, a small pouch, a letter marked 'Brynley,' and two other boxes.

"I've read some of the stuff in the books, because I wanted to try to understand so that way when the time came to tell you about all this, I could help you," Evan continued and pointed at the silver bracelet. "Your mom put the bracelet on you the minute you were born. She said it was spelled by a witch to subdue your powers when you had it on."

"Witches are real too?" Brynley said.

"Witches, vampires, werewolves," Evan listed and Brynley tried to take everything in.

"Wait, so if the bracelet subdues my powers when it's on, my powers are active when it's off," Brynley took off her bracelet and her eyes and hands began to glow. "So whenever it's off I'm just going to be like this?"

"No, your mom was suppose to teach you how to control it so eventually you could take your bracelet off, but-"

"She took off." Brynley whispered and looked down at her glowing hands.

"Hey," Evan took his daughter's hand. "Your mom may be gone, but I'm not. I'm going to help you with this."

"Can we start with how to stop this?" Brynley raised her glowing hands.

"Okay, your magic and the fairy dust is apart of you, your body, and your mind. You can control it," Evan explained. "Eventually, it will become as easy as raising your hand. Your mom wrote that controlling the glow was easy, you just have to concentrate."

Brynley closed her eyes and tried to concentrate. When she opened them she still saw the sparkles on her hands and let out a groan.

"Try again, Bryn, you can do it." Evan assured his daughter and she closed her eyes once more. Brynley concentrated and Evan watched as the glow on her hands slowly faded away. "B, look."

"Oh my god, I did it!" Brynley squealed with a smile on her face. She watched her hands as she continued to turn the glow on and off again.

"I always thought it was amazing when your mom did that," Evan sighed and reached into the large, purple box and pulled out another box. He handed it to Brynley before she opened it to reveal a long, beautiful-carved thin piece of wood.

"What is it?" Brynley looked down at the stick.

"This is your wand," Evan smiled and Brynley's eyes widened. "It'll be easier to do magic with this, and you'll learn how to do magic with the journals and books. Your mom wanted you to read the ones in the box first, but after there's tons more in the garage and other fairy stuff she left you."

"Wow," Brynley whispered. "What about my wings?"

"Those come in eventually, your mom wrote about it in one of the journals."