Day 21

30 Days with Fina by JellOfAllTrades
Chapter 21

When I went down for breakfast, almost everybody else is already up. I frowned upon seeing my brothers eating. Like me they're not morning people so why are they up so early?

"Oh, Jell. Gising ka na pala, kain ka na." Auntie Arlene offered the chair beside hers.

I nodded and sat on the chair, still looking anxiously at my family.

"Pan de sal?" Kuya Ken handed me the breadbasket.

"Coffee?" Kier asked, holding the coffee pot and a mug on the other hand.

"Sure," I answered, still wondering what is happening.

"Nakausap niyo na si Attorney?" Mamita asked my mother as she spread strawberry jam to her toast.

"Opo. Inihahanda na nila yung kaso." My mom replied, accepting the cup of coffee Kier handed her.

I frowned, wondering why would they need to talk to a lawyer.

"Malakas ang kaso natin sa mga basagulerong iyon." Uncle Rannie said, his voice low but powerful. "Nakausap ko na iyong mga tricycle drivers na tumulong kay Jellane. Handa silang maging witness."

I blinked, finally understanding why everyone seems to be too formal this morning.

"Nalaman ko na din na trabahador natin yung mga magulang nila." Aunt Arlene added.

I blinked, realizing why they would even lookup the family background of those who beat me up.

"Wait, is this a family meeting?" I asked, standing up.

They all looked up at me but none of them answered.

"Why wasn't I informed about your plans?" I demanded. "Ang sabi niyo sa akin kakasuhan niyo. You want them in jail, okay. But you're basically planning to ruin their families' lives."

"Jell, sit down." Mom said.

"Hindi eh, you're treating me like a kid again. And just so you know, I'm not ten anymore!" I roared. "You guys can't just ruin people's lives just because they hurt me!"

"Jellane. Sit. Down."

I stared at Mamita furiously. This is her work. My parents would never plan about something as horrible as ruining other people's lives when they have nothing to do with what wrong their relatives did.

"I said, sit down!" She roared, pointing her ancient cane at me.

I wanted so badly to remain standing, but mom held my hand and let me sit down.

"Listen, Jell. Ginagawa namin 'to para sa'yo." Mamita explained.

"For me or for you? Mamita, walang ginagawa sa atin yung kamag-anak ng bumugbog sa'kin. Napakulong niyo na yung bumali ng ilong ko, pwede na 'yun."

"You don't understand--"

"I do understand that what you're doing is not for me but to reaffirm the Folloso family name's status. Na walang sino man ang pwedeng bumangga sa mga Folloso!"

Silence filled the dining hall and my relatives' eyes darted from me to Mamita.

"Totoo naman di'ba?" I smirked, feeling triumphant for Mamita's speechlessness. "Kasi hindi mo naman ako tanggap so why would you bother helping me unless you can benefit from it.

I felt my mother's hand gripped my thigh under the table in warning but I ignored her.

"Is that what you really think of me, Jellane?" Mamita slowly said.

"Why should I think otherwise when I got this from what you show me?"

I walked away knowing I've made my point. They tried to call me back but I didn't stop to look back. When I got outside of the ancestral house I felt my heart constrict with the thought that I forgot to ask for help about Fina's condition and what I did would make asking even harder.

Slowly, I made my way to Fina's house. She wanted to attend church today with her family and asked me if I wanted to come. Wanting to spend as much time with her possible, I said yes.

When I reached their house, Fina opened the door before I could even knock. She is holding a pail of water.

"Hi, good morning!" I greeted.

"Good morning din! Ang aga mo ah?" She smiled sweetly at me, moving to one side and putting the pail down.

"Napawalk out eh. What are you going to do?" I ask.

"Magdidilig." She showed me a can with holes on the bottom.

"Ako na," I snatched the can from her. "Di ka dapat napapagod."

I started watering the plants in front of their house and Fina just stood on one side, watching me. When I finished I saw that she's smiling.

"Nakangiti ka jan?"

"Thank you,"

"Wala yun," I smiled. Placing the pail and can down. "Para naman sa'yo eh."

"Tara sa loob, gusto mo ng juice?"

"Kahit hindi na,"

"Nagalmusal ka na?" 

I smiled, remembering I haven't even got to bite my pandesal before I left.

"Ay nako, dapat nagaalmusal ka. Tara sa loob, may tinapay dun." Fina offered, pulling me inside the house.

She brought me to their dining table and opened a pack of tasty bread in front of me. She then pulled out a jar of peanut butter from a cabinet and a butter knife from somewhere and placed them on the table. With a sweet smile, she sat beside me.

"Kain ka na,"

"Are you going to watch me eat?"

"Maybe?"

"Please don't." I smile, taking a piece of bread.

Fina stood up and got a glass and filled it with orange juice from the refrigerator.

"Thank you," I said as she sat down beside me again, putting the juice on the table.

"Don't mention it,"

"Asan parents mo?"

"Si mama naliligo tapos si papa namamasada pa. Susunduin niya na lang tayo mamaya bago ang misa." Fina said.

I nodded and ate, conscious of Fina's gaze.

"So, tricycle driver papa mo?" I conversationally ask.

"Yes,"

There was silence again as I continued to eat and Fina just watched me.

"Fina, it's rude to stare."

"Don't mind me then,"

"I can't just ignore you when you're right in front of me."

Fina giggled and then shook her head. "Ang cute mo, Jell."

"Stop it,"

"Seryoso, ang cute mo. Di na ako magtataka kung bakit nagagawa mo yung nagagawa mo sa Maynila. May itsura ka eh."

"Kikiligin na ba ako?" I joked.

"Tse." She pouted.

After we ate and her mother finished getting ready, Mr. Romulo arrived just in time and we all got in the tricycle. I let Fina and her mother in while I sat on the back ride.

When we got to the church, we sat on the left of the aisle, almost upfront. I sat at the end of the row and Fina beside me.

"Jell?" Fina put her hand over mine.

I looked away from the murals of St. Peter and turned my attention to Fina. "Bakit?"

"Thank you,"

"For?" I frowned, knowing I didn't do anything.

"Sa pagsama. Alam ko namang hindi ka nagsisimba eh,"

I held her hand and smiled. "Wala yun, ang lakas mo sakin eh."

"Ayos lang ba talaga na samin ka sumama?"

"Oo nga,"

"Nagpaalam ka ba?"

I rose my eyebrow at her. "Why would you ask that?"

"Nakatingin kasi sayo yung lola mo,"

I looked at the direction of where she is looking and saw that Mamita is indeed glaring at me. She is with the other members of the Folloso family.

I sighed and looked away. "Don't mind her,"

"Sabi mo kanina nagwalk out ka sa inyo?"

"Nagksagutan lang kami,"

Fina just looked at me and I ignored her. She was about to say something but the mass has started so she remained quiet.

As the priest drawled on, I took a glance at Mamita and saw her praying, her palms together and her eyes closed. How can somebody so religious easily plan to ruin the lives of people who have hurt me like she's just planning for a party? Is Mamita already like that when she met Granpa or she just developed into a scheming woman when she married a man like Granpa?

When I was a little kid I was ignorant to the harshness of my family. I thought they're sweet and caring and smart. But all they really are are puppets to Mamita's plan to build the Folloso Family into greatness. My mom and uncles wouldn't be like what they are now if Mamita and Granpa didn't introduce to them a twisted way of dealing with life. My brothers and cousins are just partly lucky that Mamita focused to teach me, the favorite grandchild, herself.

I'm not sure what made Mamita choose me from all her grandchildren but she just one day thought I was smarter than all of my cousins and brothers. She just brought me under her wing, helping me with school and without my consent, she started to slowly teach me how to handle the family businesses. She was particularly active in teaching me when I was in high school. She stayed with us in Manila and was constantly with me after school. It was fun at first, getting the most attention from her because she would give me whatever I would ask for but eventually, it got tiring because she demanded I be home straight from school and stopped me from going out with my friends.

I put up with Mamita and managed to keep my social life alive by pretending to go to sleep early and escaping through my window just to attend my friends' parties. I was a good girl and I was also a bad girl. I knew what actions to play with whoever and that turned out pretty well for me.

Until I got tired and finally went out of the closet.

Mamita was so furious to learn I was gay that she almost scratched me off her will. She packed her bags and quickly left our house upset. My parents accepted me because like I said, I was always a good girl to them.

After all of Mamita's efforts to teach me how to handle the business, I thought she would accept me. I thought she loves me enough to understand what I really am but no, she just left looking at me like I'm the biggest disappointment of her life. It hurts me to think that she was able to do that like I'm nothing to her; another pawn in her chessboard.

As if sensing my gaze, Mamita turned to look at me and we stared at each other from across the aisle. I felt a sadness that maybe things would have been different if she accepted me or if I didn't come out gay. Whatever she is thinking, she was the first to pull away.

After the mass, I stayed behind as Fina and her parents went up to the altar to ask for the priest's blessing.

"Jellane Ramos, sino yang kasama mo ha?" An old woman's voice menacingly asked from behind me.

I dare not look or even answer. I just sat there waiting for the Romulo family to finish.

"Jellane, kinakausap kita!"

"Mamita, please. Nagusap na tayo kanina." I answered, not even looking at her.

"Siya ba? Iyong babaeng kasama mo ba iyong girlfriend mo?" Mamita asked.

"No,"

"Siya ba iyong Fina?" Mamita sounded angry.

When I looked up at her I saw her looking at the direction of the Romulos with a scheming look on her face. I instantly stood up, knowing what she's thinking.

"Don't you even dare touch her and her family," I muttered.

Mamita glared at me. "Jellane Ramos, sumama ka na samin at umuwi na tayo."

"No." I defied. "Uuwi ako mamaya pag gusto ko nang umuwi."

"Jellane,"

"Mamita,"

"Talaga bang sinusuway mo na ako?!" Her voice rose a few keys.

I didn't answer.

"Iyan? Iyan ba ang itunuturo sa'yo ng Fina na iyon?!"

"Fina has nothing to do with this." I answered back. "And don't you even dare touch them," I added when she took a peek at Fina and her parents.

"At bakit?" Mamita challenged.

"Kasi pag sinaktan mo sila kalimutan niyo nang apo niyo ako."

I walked away from Mamita, feeling so angry I could punch a wall. She tried to call me back but I just continued to the side door of the church. I don't want to cause any more scenes inside.

Seeing a plant box I could sit on, I sat down and held my head. I tried to control my breathing because my anger caused adrenaline to course through my body and I could feel the burst of energy within me.

After maybe a couple of minutes, I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Jell, okay ka lang?"

I looked up to see Fina worriedly looking at me.

"I'm fine,"

"May sinabi ba yung lola mo sayo kanina?"

"She said nothing,"

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

She thought about it for a moment before she sat beside me.

"Nauna na sila mama at papa. Pwede daw tayo pumunta sa tiangge sa tabing dagat basta uuwi ako for lunch." Fina said.

I nodded, still feeling down with the confrontation.

"Fina, is it okay if I look for possible donors para matulungan ka sa sakit mo?" I blurted out.

"Jell, hindi na kailangan,"

"No, seriously, Fina. I know people that can help you."

"Sino naman?"

"My parents and my friends in Manila." I answered, wondering if Jaime would even help me out with Fina.

Fina didn't answer, thinking about my offer. I knew she's already at stage four but still, there's nothing wrong with trying to save her, right?

"Tara, Fina. Kahit di ka naman pumayag maghahanap pa rin ako ng magdodonate para sa treatments mo eh." I held her hand and stood up. "San ulit yung tiangge?"

Fina didn't answer but just quickly hugged me and I hugged her back.

"Tama na drama, tara na."

"Thank you," Fina sobbed on my shoulder. "Thank you, Jell. Matutuwa sila mama nito."

"Wala yun. Lakas mo sakin eh." I inhaled her sweet scent. "Ano, tiangge na tayo?"

"Sa tabing dagat, malapit sa palengke." She whispered, still hugging me.

"Tara."

_________________________

A/N:

Init ng ulo ni Jellane HAHAHA

By the way, I had an error in Chapters 19 and 20. Instead of Gerald kasi, ang naisulat ko ay Reiniel. So very sorry for the mix up! Gerald po talaga yung pinsan ni Jellane na kapatid ni Mary :3