forty five.

CHAPTER FORTY FIVE,
echoes

   THE NEWBORNS CRIES bounced off the concrete walls of the darkened prison as echoes

THE NEWBORNS CRIES bounced off the concrete walls of the darkened prison as echoes. It was simple reminder that a life had been born even if it was almost nonexistent in the world they lived in.

After Samantha has been taken care of and all that commotion of her surprise arrival calmed down, Daryl Dixon stepped into the cafeteria with his eyes on the little Grimes.

"How is she?" Carl asked, cradling his baby sister in his arms like a good older brother.

"She's restin',"' Daryl waved it off despite his mind lingering on the green eyed beauty, slowly grasping onto the situation that she had finally been found. "Lemme see that."

He grabbed the bottle out of Beth Greene's hands and took the baby into his arms with a twitch of a soft smile slowly coming onto his lips. Glenn Rhee had entered the room with the convicts Oscar and Axel at his sides.

"Was Nathan with her?" Glenn asked, concerned for his old friend.

Daryl shrugged and the baby's hungry wails ceased, everyone letting out breaths of relief at the welcoming silence. The redneck gazed around the room, the tiny life form feeling soft in his arms.

"She got a name yet?" He inquired, his eyes going to Carl.

"Not yet," The little sheriff stated. "At first I wanted to name her Sammy, but then we found her," His eyes seemed to brighten at that sentence, content with the fact that his godmother was alive, and maybe when his dad sees her he will too.

"Go on." Daryl encouraged.

"There's Sophia. Then there's Carol too. And...Andrea, Amy, Jacqui, Patricia, or Lori," His voice began to go quiet, frowning. "I don't know."

Daryl grinned down at the baby, indulging into his own little ideas. "You like that, huh? Little Ass-Kicker." He teased, laughter lighting up the room and making it seem a little less dark.

The redneck noticed some details about the baby's appearance that revealed her heritage. She had the late Lori Grimes in her features, but there was no hint of Rick whatsoever. There was however, the color of those dark eyes that Daryl remembers seeing eight months before.

The baby's lips twitched around the bottle, her mouths forming in what seemed to be a small toothless smile. He has seen this smile before, it bringing a familiarity upon his chest.

Daryl realized that smile belonged to not Lori or Shane, but that of Samantha Walsh.

Maggie came in and Glenn immediately went to her side, smiling at her adoringly. Hershel Greene was behind her with crutches, his nub of a leg hanging. There was blood staining his white shirt, but nobody seemed to notice at first. They were too busy trying to not take advantage of this innocent moment.