➶ 18

A/N —let's just all first pause for a second and admire the dress above.
—secondly, a question for the readers! Do you prefer the current lengthy chapters, or should I shorten them?

MY CALCULATING GAZE SWEPT across the crossed-out name that I had finally gotten around to ruining. The charity event was a perfect opportunity for my well-elaborated plan. "My husband and I are beyond grateful that you've gone to these lengths, but why? Why are you helping us?" Her voice was firmer than the last time we spoke. It didn't hold the timidity that it once had.

"Rosaline—sorry, Rosie," I paused, using the nickname that she insisted I call her. "I just felt like they were sitting on a mountain of deluded beliefs for far too long, and Mauve, your dear friend, she deserved better." Without proper connections, Mauve was trapped in her marriage while all her assets were taken away. Daniel wasn't Mauve's real son, and the idea of someone other than Nolan's son inheriting the corporation didn't sit right with him. While many had eyed the corporation in greed, Nolan saw this as favourable for him. He set her up, intending to make her look as though she wasn't in the right mind. Driving Mauve and her son away, she was forbidden from returning. Since her son was barely one, she obeyed, left, and never returned for eleven years—that was, until tonight. And with that, I would have two more large corporations aiding the name of Lexus Creed when needed. "I'm only a spectator at this point, so do well."

"I find it astonishing, and frankly, a bit terrifying even, that you're only eighteen and turning nineteen," she breathed out. "If you need anything, please don't be afraid to ask. We owe you much more than you think."

They were the words that I liked and aimed to hear. While it felt good to help, this was more beneficial for me. Whatever I happened to do, there was always a reason for it. With an incoming FaceTime call from my father, I grinned happily, "I'll keep that in mind. I'm looking forward to tonight. See you," hanging up, I propped my phone against a bottle of sparkling juice. Dawn had settled into the sky, and this was possibly the earliest he had ever called. "I missed you guys," pouting, I sent an air-kiss. My father, mother, and little sister were lazing around on lounge chairs in the pool. The scenery was familiar. The only two who were missing were my older brother, Dionte and me. He had called a week ago to check up since he was finishing up on set and would be returning home soon.

"Should I withdraw you from the academy and move back to France?"

Narrowing my eyes, it was an incredulous sight that while it was only six in the morning, they were in the pool already. "I only said I missed you all. Where are you getting the idea I miss you to the point of withdrawing from the academy?"

"Hiring the academy professors as your private tutors is a small feat," he nonchalantly shrugged, proceeding to turn the camera and show me multiple angles of his breakfast floating atop the water. "Look, it's eggs benedict." Changing the direction of the camera back to himself, my father paraded a coupe glass.