-Chapter 120-

Day: 184

Days Left: 5296

Lives Saved: 0

Corinna didn't know how long they had been walking for. It seemed like the underground tunnel went on forever, yet she still persevered in the hope that eventually, they would find an exit. Holding up the lantern, Corinna lighted the way with the green wisp illuminating the tunnel in an emerald glow. Following closely behind was the imp who clutched tightly onto its spear, flinching from any sudden sounds, prepared to defend itself from an ambush.

"I'm sure we'll find an exit soon," Corinna said, staying positive and forcing a smile.

The imp looked up at her, its eyes softening for a moment before it stared down at the ground, its pointed ears drooping.

Continuing on their journey, Corinna and the imp trudged through the underground tunnel system, winding through the labyrinth. The imp chose which direction to go when they hit a divide by using eenie meenie minie mo, though, of course, Corinna made a mental map of the place to make sure that they weren't going around in circles.

As they walked, the young woman wondered how or what could have formed these tunnels.

Perhaps it was that giant mole-rat creature, theorised Corinna. It was the only thing that she had met so far that could have possibly made it. However, the tunnels seemed a bit too big even for a giant mole to have made. Regardless of what manner of creature constructed it, Corinna just hoped that they would never have to encounter it.

That was when the tunnel began to rumble again.

Corinna cursed under her breath.

Her eyes flicked upwards, relieved to find that the ceiling was not about to collapse. The ground shook once again. It was far in the distance, but it was getting closer by the second. She placed her hand on the wall, feeling the vibrations. The tunnel system wasn't shaking from collapsing, it wasn't as violent as before. No... there was something else in them. They weren't alone.

Grabbing the imp's hand, Corinna ran along the tunnel corridors and darted towards the path that led to a dead-end. She crouched down, making herself as small as possible and pressed her back against the wall, the imp did the same and hid underneath its cloak.

The rumbling grew louder and louder. The imp huddled close to Corinna, clutching onto her arm with its rat-like claws.

Whatever it was, the creature was close.

Remaining very still, Corinna slowly opened an eye then covered her mouth, preventing herself from screaming. A monster slithered past them. It was just as wide as the tunnels were, legless and long like a snake, only its skin an earthy orange and hard like an exoskeleton with short spikes protruding out of it. Sharp teeth jutted out of its gaping mouth all around its lips in a circle.

Judging from how long it took to slither past, Corinna estimated that the monster was about twenty feet long. Fortunately, it seemed that the creature was oblivious to Corinna and the imp's presence. From the glance she got, Corinna saw that it possessed no eyes nor a nose. So how was it able to sense things?

Perhaps echolocation? If that was the case, then it meant they had to remain silent; otherwise, the thing would return. She relayed this information to the imp by placing a finger on her lips. The imp nodded in understanding.

As they waited until they believed that the creature was far gone, Corinna raked through her brain trying to figure out what type of monster it was and finally concluded that it was a sandwyrm.

When the rumbling noise had finally died down, Corinna and the imp headed in the opposite direction from the sandwyrm. They both trod carefully and silently, though now slower than before they were at least safer this way. The imp clung onto Corinna, holding her hand. Corinna squeezed it in reassurance.

After the imp chose their path randomly, they arrived at another dead-end only this time it was different. It wasn't a smooth surface of earth like the others but a pile of large rocks. A small sliver of light broke through and shone on the ground.

Corinna and the imp smiled at each other.

It was a way out.

The imp rushed forwards, about to start digging but Corinna stopped it. She placed a finger on her lips, reminding it that they had to stay silent. If they made any noise, it could attract the sandwyrm to their location. Corinna examined the rocks and worked out which ones would be the safest to move and not cause any sound. Working together, Corinna and the imp slowly removed the rocks and placed them gently on the ground until they made a gap large enough for them to escape. They both squinted as the sudden appearance of light blinded them but were relieved to feel the warmth on their faces.

Corinna nodded to the imp, indicating that it should go first. Grinning, revealing its sharp fangs, the imp squirmed through the gap and stood on the other side now basked in light. It jumped up and down in glee then stopped, remembering it still needed to be quiet and guilty looked down at the ground.

Her every move made with much consideration and caution, Corinna edged closer to the exit. The imp could easily escape with any noise due to its diminutive size, but she would have to be more careful. Taking her time, Corinna made her way through the exit and to the other side. She stared up and smiled, happy to see the grey and murky sky of the Eternal Abyss once again.

Now that they were both free, the imp performed its celebratory dance: jumping up and down and spinning around. It grinned at Corinna.

But then its face soured and it yelled out.

A cold hand grabbed Corinna by the ankle and pulled her down. It dragged her back into the tunnel.

The imp grasped hold of Corinna's hand, attempting to rescue her but the imp was too small and weak. Corinna's hand slipped out of the imp's grasp, and she was hauled away into the darkness, the rocks collapsing and enclosing the tunnel exit once more.