0 Mile

Jaehyun raised his eyebrows at my response.

"Really? I thought it'd be a good deal for someone like you. I guess I could raise th-"

"Someone like me?"

I had been avoiding his gaze for several minutes now, only taking the occasional glance to gauge his reactions, but I had gotten gutsy. I looked him directly in the eye with an intensity I didn't know existed. I knew what he meant but I was daring him to say it outright.

I questioned my state of mind as I swore I could see the slightest smirk on his lips.

"Oh, I just meant that for someone of your profession, I'm sure there are a lot of things you'd be willing to do to earn such a generous amount of money."

I was shaking. I couldn't believe this was happening, not that I was surprised. I wasn't exactly expecting a warm apology however, for him to not only take zero responsibility for what he did to me, but to insult me?

"We can negotiate the specific amount at a later time, but for now, you will be given full accommodations during your time here. If you need or want anything within reason, someone will fetch it for you."

"During my time here? I told you that I had nothing to do with IU's death. You said you confirmed it! You can't just keep me locked u-"

"You are free to leave whenever you want, but I'd advise against it."

Confusion took over my features and I silently scolded myself for being so easily readable as the man in front of me further explained himself.

"Wayv, the group whose leader you killed knows of your actions from that night and have demanded we hand you over to them. Now I can't say I know for sure what they want with you but I can tell you it isn't good. Once we found your name, we had no trouble in finding information about you such as your home address and I can guarantee that Wayv is capable of the very same."

"W-what?" I asked, knowing full well what he meant.

Instead of repeating himself or rephrasing his words, Jaehyun merely tapped his fingers on the desk as if he were keeping time.

Wayv wanted me dead. There was no denying it.

"So what? If I leave then that's it, I'm dead? What am I gonna do, just supposed to stay here forever?"

"That's up to you, but I can assure you that we are working to take down Wayv. We may require your assistance in the near future, but nothing is decided yet."

"My assistance? You mean using me as bait?"

"Not necessarily," He answered.

I gawked at him in disbelief.

Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse, now I have to remain here under the same roof as him. It didn't matter how big this house was, there would never be enough rooms between us.

"The money we're offering you is to compensate you for your silence once you leave, but for reconciliation, I will allow you to stay here until Wayv is dealth with. I'll make sure my men and staff do everything in their power to make you comfortable during your stay here as long as you're willing to follow a few house rules."

"Rule?" I quirked.

"I'll have Taeyong explain all of that to you once you head back to your room."

Jaehyun stood up and finally started collecting the soiled documents that had remained on the desk all this time. I simply stared at him, waiting for him to go on, but he didn't. It was like he was silently telling me to let myself out, but I'd be damned if I was going to make this easy for him after all he'd done.

I knew that he was right and that leaving this house was suicide, yet I couldn't stand the idea that he might have thought that he was doing me a favor instead of what he was actually doing; doing the least he could to clean up the mess he made of my life.

I stayed there and watched him, knowing that he would eventually have to acknowledge my presence since I made to effort to remove myself from his office.

After several agonizing moments, Jaehyun looked at me and stopped what he was doing.

"Taeyong? Could you please come in and escort Miss y/l/n to her room?" He called out.

Shit.

Taeyong entered the room and walked towards us. I had to take my chance.

"I have a request," I stated clearly.

Taeyong froze in place hesitant on what he should do while Jaehyun quirked an eyebrow.

"And what might that be?"

I swallowed hard, previously unaware at how much my nerves were affecting my body.

"That night, the night you took me, no, kidnapped me. I saw one of my closest friends get shot. Wendy. I want to know if she is okay. Not just her, I want to make sure they're all okay, and if not, I want you to do something about it."

Jaehyun paused, deliberating my request.

"Is that all?" He asked.

"Yes."

"And if she didn't make it? What then? How do you suppose I make that right?" He pressed, dropping the papers that were in his hands back onto the table.

I looked down at the floor. I didn't know how he could make things right... in any sense, but I had to know whether Wendy was okay.

Jaehyun eyes left my softly trembling frame to meet Taeyongs. I didn't see this but Taeyong nodded his head signaling something to his boss.

"I'll send in some of my men to search out what they can about your colleagues and the state of your friend Wendy. I'll let you know what they find. Taeyong?"

Taeyong grabbed my arm and brought his lips to my ear.

"Come on," was all he said before guiding me out of the office.

As we walked through the doorway, I immediately spotted Doyoung leaning against the wall with a bored look on his face. Taeyong paused for a second to give him an update.

"I'm taking her back to go over the house rules, you good?" He asked.

Without answering, Doyoung fixed his gaze on me as I was half hidden behind his colleague.

"Boo!" He half whispered half shouted.

I jerked back slightly only to recoil in embarrassment.

Taeyong rolled his eyes.

"I guess we'll be off," He announced, motioning that it was time for us to head back.