07. every party

s2e7: masquerade

"We're gonna kill Katherine at the masquerade ball?" Brynley asked Stefan through the phone. "Do you know how risky that is? Everyone in town is going to be there!"

"We have a plan," Stefan promised. "You're going, right?"

"Yeah."

"Good, bring your wand," Stefan requested. "We might need you as back-up."

-

"Hold on, one more!" Evan demanded as he and Carol Lockwood took pictures of Brynley, Tyler, and Matt at the Masquerade Ball.

"Smile!" Carol continued to take pictures. "Alright, now do a different pose!"

"Every party." Matt mumbled as Matt and Tyler picked Brynley up and the three smiled.

"Tradition." Brynley giggled.

"You'll thank us later." Evan promised and Brynley smiled at her father. "Okay, we're done. Go have fun."

"Finally," Tyler sighed while the boys placed Bryn back on the floor. "I need a drink."

"I second that." Brynley agreed and the three friends walked into another room. She looked into a mirror that hung on the wall before adjusting her short, dark blue dress and her pretty, blue mask. "I feel like my ass is hanging out of this dress."

"Relax, you look great." Tyler complimented and handed her a glass of water, knowing she wouldn't drink anything else.

"You didn't say it wasn't," Brynley turned around and Tyler put his hands up. "Tyler!"

Bryn pulled her dress down as much as she could before walking out of the room. She walked over to the snack table and grabbed a cupcake. She quickly regretted her decision and went to go put the cupcake in the trash.

"Thanks." Elena walked up to her and grabbed the cupcake.

"Elena!" Brynley gave her a look.

"Try again." Elena smirked and Brynley's eyes widened.

"K-Katherine." Brynley mumbled before she tried to back away, fear taking over her face, but Katherine grabbed her arm, not letting her leave.

"Brynley, isn't it?" Katherine questioned and Bryn stood silent. She looked into her eyes, trying to compel her. "Answer me."

"Get away from me." Brynley whispered.

"Oh, you're wearing vervain," Katherine sighed before pulling off Bryn's silver bracelet that kept her powers off. Brynley was terrified in that moment, so as soon as the bracelet was off her wrist, her hands and her eyes sparkled gold. "Well, well, well, it seems like my sources were correct. You are the latest Hollis fairy, which means you can't be compelled."

"Hollis isn't even my last name, it's my mom's." Brynley corrected before she tried to walk away but Katherine held her with a tight grip. Katherine placed the bracelet back on Brynley's wrist, her powers immediately turning off.

"You, honey, could be very useful to me." Katherine admitted. "So, I can't hurt you just yet, as long as you stay out of my way. Now walk away, calmly."

Brynley walked away from the vampire and into the nearest bathroom. She slammed the door and slid against the wall. The silver bracelet fell off her wrist and her hands lit up. Tears brimmed Bryn's eyes as she struggled to breath. Her mind replayed the moment over and over again, the fear that she felt when Katherine wouldn't let her leave. The feeling of being scared what very familiar to the Fletcher girl. She had experienced fear far worst.

She stared down at her hands and closed her eyes, trying to turn her powers off. Bryn opened her eyes and still saw glowing hands. She grabbed the bracelet from the floor and slipped it back on her wrist. Bryn let out a sigh of relief as her hands and eyes returned to normal.

"Pull yourself together, Brynley. Breath." Brynley whispered to herself before wiping the tears from her face. She looked in the mirror once more before walking out of the bathroom. Brynley grabbed a drink and walked into a room where Tyler, Matt, and Sarah sat.

"Hey B." Tyler walked over to her and Brynley gave him her best fake-smile. "You've been crying."

"How the hell can you do that?" Brynley asked.

"We've known each other since the day we were born, I can tell when you've been crying, Bell." Tyler replied. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I just had a little bit of a meltdown." Brynley lied, kinda.

"So, what happened to Aimee?" Sarah spoke up.

"I don't know, she disappeared." Matt shrugged.

"I didn't see her anywhere." Brynley sighed.

"She's probably drunk somewhere." Tyler suggested.

"Like me." Matt began to pour alcohol on the floor.

"Whoa, don't do that." Tyler shook his head.

"What man? It's a party." Matt picked up a picture of Tyler's parents. "Right dad? You know, looks like your dad wants a drink."

Matt poured his drink all over the frame.

"How drunk are you?" Brynley asked.

"Hey, that's not cool. What's wrong with you?" Tyler glared at her.

"Come on, the guy was a dick." Matt insulted.

"Matt!" Brynley scolded.

"Come on, you're being mean. His dad's dead." Sarah said.

"Give me the picture!" Tyler demanded.

"Remember how your dad used to slap you around?" Matt slapped Tyler playfully.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Bryn raised her voice.

"Are you kidding?" Tyler looked at Matt.

"I'm just having fun." Matt shrugged.

"Put the picture down now man." Tyler repeated.

"Matt, put the picture down." Brynley begged before Matt slammed the frame on the desk, breaking the glass.

"Okay, you need to calm your drunk ass down right now!" Tyler yelled.

"Do something about it!" Matt pushed Tyler and Brynley ran over.

"Matt, cut it out!" Brynley tried to pull her friends apart.

"I'm not gonna fight you." Tyler shook his head and Matt pushed him again.

"Matt-" Brynley tried to speak before Matt punched Tyler in the face and threw him on floor. "Matt! Stop!"

The two began to fight while Brynley screamed in protest.

"Guys, stop! Not again!" Brynley shouted and Caroline ran in.

"What is going on? Stop!" She pulled the boys apart.

"I can't! Let me go, I have to finish!" Matt tried to push past Caroline."

-

"Dad, I'm about to get in the car, I just had to make sure Tyler and Matt were okay." Brynley spoke to her dad through the phone as she walked to her car. "I'll be home soon, bye."

She hung up the phone and reached for her car door, but a hand covered her mouth and grabbed her.