•C H A P T E R 1•

"Jackson?"

A tall, blonde man walks up to the counter to grab his coffee from me. "Thanks. Hey uh, do you think—"

"No."

"Alrighty then," and he walks out of the Starbucks. I check my wrist for the millionth time since I turned 18 in July. Still at 6,578 miles. This man must be across the whole damn world then. How am I ever going to find him? Sighing, I get back to making coffee.

Finally, the clock strikes 7 pm. Now I can escape this pit hole. Working at Starbucks would be fine if I didn't have school all the time. Thankfully, the school year is ending soon, then I can go home and be free. For the summer at least.

"Em, I'm back!" I yell into our small apartment. Me and Emerson have been friends since middle school and decided we should get an apartment together when we go to college. We worked our butts off and saved up enough money for the apartment by orientation time. Good thing our rent is pretty decent though.

Em pops out of the kitchen and rolls up my sleeve to check my wrist. "Damn, now it's over 6,000? He must travel or something since it moves a lot. I wonder what country he lives in."

I shrug. That is kind of interesting how my soulmate is from an entirely different country than me. There are so many questions I have about this dude.

"How about you? What's yours at?" I ask nodding toward her arm.

"2,059 miles," she says disappointingly.

"Hey, at least yours is closer than mine is." I put my hand on her shoulder. "You'll find him eventually. And I will help you if I have to."

I walk into the kitchen to see what to make for dinner. Emerson follows me and sits on the  clean marble counter. "Do you ever wonder what they look like, when their birthday is, how old they are, what their personality is like, and stuff like that?"

I grab a box of noodles and close the cabinet. "Yeah, doesn't everybody? I try not to think about it so much though. I don't really need to find my soulmate until after college when I get a job and stuff."

She nods and it becomes silent for a bit. "It's driving me insane! Why can't this system just give more detail other than the mileage?"

Rolling my eyes, I say, "Do you want spaghetti?"

Em's eyes go wide at the thought of spaghetti. "Yes pwease."

After making the spaghetti I head to the couch and sit next to Em.

"Ooh he's cute!" I hear her say from next to me. "They're all cute oooh!"

I look over at her in confusion. "What are you looking at?"

She smiles and turns her phone screen to me showing a picture of a group of Korean boys on a news article. My eyes immediately land on the blonde one with pretty eyes. I get this weird feeling as I look at him as if I know him or should know him.

"Yeah they're okay," I say i'm response. It's not like i'm going to tell Emerson, i'm too tired for explaining. Plus, it was probably nothing.

"WOAH Y/N your pupils are HUGE! Did you get dilated?"

My eyes are dilated? "It's probably because it's dark in here. You know pupils and their weird light and dark thing."

"Maybe." She goes back to reading the article. Should I ask who they are? I don't know if I should ignore this feeling or not.

"Hey Em?" She hums in response. "Who are those guys?"

She quickly turns her head toward me. "Why? Do you think they're cute too? Don't take RM though cause he's mine!"