Part 1/Chapter 1: Hyuna

So guys, this is my first book on Wattpad and I decided to post it here because I didn't want to let all my planning go to waste! The setting of this book is South Korea, so a lot of you may be unfamiliar with the character's names and the cities. The story is centered around two main characters by the names of Hyuna and Jaehwan, but other trivial characters may have a POV somewhere in the book.

The first few chapters (thus, Part 1) will be mostly the introduction to the characters and their  stories. The main start of the mysteries and incidents will happen a bit further into the book, so please hang around until then to read when things start to get interesting!

Thank you for reading!!!

 When I look back on the day my life drove down a very bumpy road, all I remember is that i was dreaming.

 Dreaming of a fantasyland full of unicorns and rainbows, all the while aware of the stuffy library air around me, the roughness of the wooden table beneath my elbow. The twinkle of a pair of silver earrings caught between the black hair of the girl beside me, the deafening silence that filled the room, and that if one is ever caught in the middle of such silence, one would very much like to stand up and-

"I need that highlighter."

I blinked. A black ballpoint pen hovered between my eyes, as if threatening to write on my face. I jumped back a second too late, the chair dragging noisily beneath my feet. Yerin rolled her eyes.

"Pay attention, Hyuna. We're never going to get this done if you keep dreaming on me."

"I wasn't dreaming." I scowled. "I was daydreaming."

 Across the table, my best friend sat like a queen on the moldy yellow chair, earphones stuck in her ears, elegantly twirling her pen between her long fingers. She was studying me curiously, with the casual air of someone dissecting a dead body, with concentration and mild amusement. 

 She popped her gum, Harley-Quinn style. "I need that highlighter." she repeated, pointing her pen at the orange highlighter sitting next to my elbow. "I'm waiting." I rolled it to her and  she pinned it neatly to the table with her hand.

 It was a burning hot day in the middle of July, the kind of day that could make anyone believe in global warming. Me and my best buddy Yerin were at the town library, drowning under a mound of homework. The library was a perfect air-conditioned place for us to study in peace until the sun went down and the world became appropriate for human inhabitance. 

 It did not help our already dangerously low concentration however, that every other middle schooler in the area seemed to have had the same idea. Wherever we went, we would meet some guy or girl from school, and we were forced to make meaningless conversation for 15 minutes or so, and that was enough time for some idiot to steal out god-blessed seats directly under the AC. Then we would have to either 1) ask the nice guy to please go away as we had gotten there first or 2) sit nearby and whisper rudely until he or she got uncomfortable and left. Studying at the library was rather tiresome business. 

 I stared down at my nearly blank book report (I had scrawled down my name. That was definitely something) and sighed, hoping that it would disappear in a sprinkle of fairy dust. Writing 20 book reports was mandatory for all the kids at our school, as the school had to ensure that we do something other than hibernate during vacation. 

 Yerin, who had been rummaging through the mountain of books she had picked out of the shelves, looked up at my mournful sigh. 

"Do you have anything you want to write about?" she asked.