Act II: Party With One Eye Open

Y'all. (I'm not American but this word felt appropriate) I just read The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (TBoS&S). And damn... Anyone who wants to talk about it feel free to DM me about it, just so there's no spoilers in the comments. I'm also thinking of working some elements into this story because TBoS&S has a lot of elements and tones that play well into our story here. Again, let me know in DM's so there's no spoilers for anyone who hasn't read it yet!

Chapter Song: Wreak Havoc- Skylar Grey

My jaw is clenched so tight, it feels as if I'm about to break it. My head is in complete game mode, and for once in these past few years, I don't want to get out of it. There must be something that I missed. There's always something bigger going on. Was it the designer for 12? Had he been hired to design for 12 by someone who wanted me out of the Capitol? Someone who knew about Cato?

I feel my brain fighting with itself. My more rational-side tries to fight its way in. Stop it, Octavia. You're being paranoid. Think, the designer probably saw taking on 12 as some sort of passion project or an act of charity. Those tributes may have been dressed to kill, but that doesn't mean they'll win. Plenty of tributes, from outer districts and careers, have shined in the pre-games portions and still lost badly. But still, what if it's not?

Tonight was my opportunity to get a one-up back on Haymitch. Make nice with the sponsors, and take them away from Haymitch, even though they'll be flocking to him tonight. Without my relation to Cato out in the open, my job will be much harder. But revealing that now would be too risky for him, no matter how much press Katniss and Peeta got because there are strong kids in the outer districts who would mark him as even more of a target. That reveal will have to wait.

But Seneca Crane, however...I cease looking out the window and the city below and look towards the letter on my counter. I pick up the letter. If Seneca wants to meet with me, a meeting he will get. I'll make it the nicest meeting he's ever had in his life. No matter how I feel about the man, I need to put that aside because my brother's life is on the line. I need to be ready to charm, beg, barter, steal, lie, whatever he throws my way I need to get it done.

My mind trails off again, tugging me in another direction. I drop the letter. With these sorts of things, I would usually go to Plutarch. But Plutarch can't do anything without Seneca's permission. And Seneca would shoot down anything Plutarch would suggest simply because it came from him.

No, I have to play this smart. I have to be two steps ahead of Seneca at all times but make it seem like I'm two steps behind. I pick up the letter and throw it into my fireplace so that no one else will ever be able to read it. Naive me would've left it out on the table in some sort of ethical dilemma, wondering if I should show it to Plutarch or Finnick. But no. When it comes to handling Seneca Crane, I'm going to have to take things into my own hands. 

Taking a deep breath, I walk out of my room to join everyone else in the living room. Cato and Clove are sitting on the couch in their pyjamas, waiting for us to leave, while the other Mentors are grabbing the last of their things. Fallon is scrambling around the room, trying to make sure that everyone attending the party looks 'acceptable'.

"What is this party anyways?" asks Clove.

Cato must've been thinking the same thing because he nods, adding, "Yea, and how come we've never heard of it before?"

I adjust my earring as I answer them. "This party is more of a... behind the scenes thing. Everyone watching at home would be too bored if they had to watch all the politics and it's waayyyy too messy. Plus, I'm not too sure that the Sponsors want what goes on at those parties and what's discussed out in the open air..."