chapter 27

»»————- song: ————-««

break the rules

by ruen brothers 

and oh, how our hearts hold wonder
oh, how they roll like thunder
oh, is it right to break the rules? 

♢ ♢ ♢

Harry nearly fell out of his now-customary armchair when Albus Dumbledore ducked out of the fireplace a couple hours later at the same time Snape called from the kitchen, "Potter, spinach or broccoli?" 

"Good evening, Harry," Dumbledore said cheerfully, brushing off his robes despite the noticeable lack of soot anywhere—evidently the Floo was more fond of him than Harry. "How is your summer going?"

"Er," Harry stuttered, not sure who to respond to first, or if he should bring up the Aunt Marge incident. He turned to call his professor, but at that moment Snape had poked his head into the living room saying, "Potter, are you deaf? Spinach or broccoli? They both have high iron cont—" He broke off abruptly when he noticed who was here.

"Professor Snape," Dumbledore said warmly. "I did mention I would be dropping in."

Snape walked in, nodding stiffly. 

"Spinach," Harry told him. "To answer your question."

Snape gave him what Harry thought might have been a glare, then turned back to Dumbledore. "I wasn't expecting you for another ten minutes or so," he said. 

"Ah, yes, the Board meeting took less time than usual... although that might have had something to do with some stray pixies that found its way inside and had nested under the desk. Complete pandemonium!" He chuckled. "Now what's this about foods high in iron?"

"I need someone to take Potter to St. Mungo's for a... check-up, of sorts," Snape said. "Possibly anemia. He nearly fainted away a few hours ago—"

"I did not," Harry protested. "Sir," he quickly added when Snape gave him what definitely was a glare this time.

Dumbledore looked concerned, but curious. "Anemia is quite uncommon in wizards," he said. "Usually their magic self-corrects any deficiencies, unless—"

Harry suddenly felt hot all over. He glanced at Snape, silently begging him to understand. Don't let him know...

"In any case, he needs medical attention," Snape said smoothly. "Can we arrange a method of transportation?"

Dumbledore's eyes twinkled as he looked at Snape. "Why, you're his caretaker for the summer, aren't you?"

Snape gritted his teeth. "I'm a busy man, Headmaster, contrary to what you may think."

"Of course, of course... well, I suppose I can. I cleared my schedule to go Blibbering Humdinger-seeing, but Harry of course takes precedence." Dumbledore smiled down at Harry. 

Snape grunted. "Well, if that's settled, I must finish preparing dinner," he said, eyes steely. 

"Go right ahead, Severus. I simply wish to talk to Harry before I take my leave."

Harry settled back into his armchair, feeling a bit nervous. Dumbledore reached into his cloak and pulled out something yellow. "Lemon drop?" he offered. Harry took it, this time not to be polite but because the sweet had grown on him, too. Sour, but a hint of sweetness. A little bitter.

"Pity Professor Snape never accepts," Dumbledore said, unwrapping one for himself. "I imagine he'd rather like it. Ah, well, stubbornness can be a virtue. Have you finished all your schoolwork, Harry?"