~ 15 ~

It was a whole new world. The night was full of posh people and glamorous places. Everything was grand and opulent and Maria felt herself become overwhelmed by the lavish decorations. The only factor that concealed the fundamental fact that she did not belong in this new extraordinary world was her changed appearance influenced by another rich ass. He had splashed upon her a sum of money her salary for the next couple of years would never suffice. And now, she was dressed in the most expensive dress that would ever be in her closet.

She could feel the green dress hugging her frame, the soft feel of the silk fabric, the breeze of the night brushing through her exposed skin from the plunging back design of the gown, and how long her legs looked with the slit at the front and the gorgeous heels making her seem taller than usual. Her fingers caressed gently over the smooth texture of the silky material as they moved further across the place.

The moonlight shone through the thin layer of clouds casting a soft glow over the sky and glimmering upon the majestic party below. The outdoor setting provided an elegant ambiance that was fitting for such a lavish event. The party was thrown in the garden of a five-star hotel that overlooked the city lights. The surrounding was colorful with various flowers blooming all around; the trees cast shadows on the ground, making it seem like they were floating. The gardens spread out in front of them as far as the eye can see, leading to the large pool which was surrounded by lounge chairs and tables. A band played classic music somewhere in the distance, accompanying the boisterous voices of the partygoers who were dancing and enjoying themselves to the fullest.

The guests were mostly famous faces from the entertainment and business industries. The kind of people that had celebrities as fellow friends. Some of them were the owners of popular brands which had a large number of followers. This was a gathering of the elite and the rich, the ones whose lives were defined by luxury and extravagance. They were dressed in extravagant attire, which included outfits from expensive brands and gowns of the purest silk. Back in the dressing room in the boutique, Maria was thinking she was overdressed for the party and no one had to tell her how wrong her suggestion was now.

Her stomach twisted in knots as she took in the extravagant setup. The place wouldn't have been so nerve-wracking if the party peeps weren't stealing glances their way.

Maria expected stares and whispers considering who she was walking with but she didn't expect such intense scrutiny and wasn't prepared for that kind of attention. Their entrance was so manifested despite how slow and quiet they walked. The tension filling the place had her glancing down at her black heels and hoping not to slip or do something embarrassing that would stay in her memory for the rest of her life.

As stupid as it might sound, she wished to turn around and run away back to the safety of her home but she knew that wouldn't be possible.

The familiar woodsy cologne brushing her nostrils every now and then always reminded her she was not alone, making her feel she would have gotten lost in such a foreign place if not for the man beside her.

At the thought of that, she turned her face and glanced up to look at Jayden. His usual confident expression and straight posture gave her the reassurance she needed, that everything was going to be fine.

It was kind of hard to admit, but she would swallow her pride and acknowledge the fact his presence gave her strength, including the way their arms were looped together. She was sure he was aware of the scrutiny and the people staring at them but he didn't seem bothered by it.

Jayden sensed her discomfort and took notice of her stiff posture and tensed muscles. He met her blue eyes for the briefest second before throwing his gaze straight ahead. "You do not need to be nervous, just relax and you'll be fine." His voice came in low tones, his words meant only for her ears even though he wasn't looking at her.