Chapter 7

Chapter 7

The Power Of The Society To Change Someone 

I bit my bottom lip as hard as I can before knocking softly at the door of my mother’s clinic. After knocking three times, binuksan ko na ang pintuan at nakita ko kaagad ang Mommy ko na nakaupo sa desk niya habang may papel na binabasa. 

Her head tilted up when she sensed that there’s someone. She wasn’t able to process right away that I was actually standing here inside her office and when she does, her mouth fell in agape. 

“Honey, what are you doing here? You’re supposed to be in school.” She said, removing her specs and placing it on top of her desk. 

“Mom…” My lips quivered the moment I called her. 

Her eyes and whole face began to be clouded with concern as she stood up from her swivel chair, quickly approaching me. She cupped my face and tears began to fall from my eyes nonstop. 

“Honey, what happened? Tell me,” She said. She was wearing her white coat looking so gorgeous as ever. 

“Mom? What’s wrong with me? Why can’t others appreciate or even just respect me as a person? Ano ba ang mali sa’kin, Mommy? Is it because I’m fat?” Buong pait kong tanong habang humihikbi. 

I saw my Mom’s eyes moistened as she looked at me with pain, straining her eyes. “Baby, there is nothing wrong with you… but with the eyes of the society that loves to judge, there is. Walang mali sa’yo, anak.” 

“You are beautiful just the way you are, Mona. Size is a number and not a definition of someone’s beauty. You deserve to be loved and respected regardless of your weight. There is nothing wrong with you, you were just surrounded with the wrong people.” She said, her voice quite breaking. 

“Mabait naman ako sa kanila… Ginagawa ko naman kung anong gusto nila pero bakit ginaganyan nila ako? Mom, I’m so tired of dealing with the same crap everyday. Ayoko na nang ganito… Sometimes I wish that I didn’t just exist.” I admitted and I heard my Mom gasped. 

Umiling siya habang unti-unting nawawasak habang tinitingnan ang anak niyang durog na durog na. “Mona, no… don’t say that. I can’t imagine a life without you. You are my sunshine… H’wag mong sabihin iyan.” Tears began to roll from her eyes. I felt a pang on my chest the moment I saw my mom cry. 

It hurts when you see someone who’s so amazing and strong breaks down in front of you. Sa tuwing sinasaktan ako nang iba, mas siya itong nasasaktan para sa akin. 

“I’m sorry…” I sobbed.

“No, I’m sorry. I’m sorry that this world is so cruel to you. You do not deserve this, honey. Not even a bit… Kahit ako, napapagod na akong makita kang nasasaktan…” She looked up, pushing out a harsh exhale before looking back at me. 

“It makes me livid everytime I see you getting hurt. Your father and I are doing everything we can just to protect you! Ni hindi ka nga namin minumura tapos gaganyanin ka lang nila? These insensitive assholes be really testing my patience! Bukas na bukas ay pupunta na talaga ako sa eskwelahan niyo. I can’t stand this anymore! School is where you should learn and grow, it is where you your character and confidence must built and not the other way around!” She firmly said. 

And just what I always do, I shook my head immediately. “Mommy, h’wag. H’wag na po kayong pumunta sa school, please…” I begged. 

Parati kong pinipigilan ang mommy ko kapag gusto niya nang sumugod sa school sa tuwing nabu-bully ako dahil ako pa itong nahihiya. Isa pa, ayoko lang na palakihin pa ang gulo. If they really want to stop from bullying, they would eventually stop even without being sent to the discipline’s office.