twenty seven.

27

THE LAST CITY

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

Thomas slammed the map down on the oak table and pointed at a circles area repeatedly, "There, that's it. It's a few hundred miles. Based on the railways and everything Aris has told us, that's where they will be heading. That's where they are taking Minho," Thomas watched as Vince's face fell ever so slightly, "We take everyone who can fight, follow the roads where we can, we can make it back within a week."

"A week?" Vince replied questioningly, "It took us six months to get here, we've got over a hundred kids here now. We can't just hang out here forever, after what we just pulled. You wanna wander off to a random point on the map? You don't even know what's there."

Rosa was about to open her mouth but Jorge beat her to it after silently entering the room, "I do. It's been a few years, but I've been there. The last city, that's what WICKED called it. It was our old base of operations. If that city is still standing, that's the last place you'd want to go, hermano. That's the lion's den."

"It's nothing we haven't done before," Rosa pushed off the wall and sticker her dagger in the middle of the circle on the map, "That is where we are going to take them down."

Vince scoffed, "Yeah, with months of planning. Reliable information. The element of surprise. None of which we have now."

"Vince, I've thought this through-"

Vince cut Thomas off harshly, "The last time we went off half-cocked, I lost everything. Do you remember that? Look, I know it's Minho," his voice softened quickly, "But you can't ask me to put the kids on the line for one man. I won't do it."

The radio started to stutter from behind the group, her eyes went wide before she started to shout at Jorge and retrieve her dagger from the table, "Hit the lights!"

Whilst Thomas and Vince ran off in one direction, Rosa ran off with Newt and Maria to make sure the new arrivals weren't terrified.

Rosa felt Thomas shift from beside her on their bed in the tent that they had set up in the bunk room, it gave them privacy and it helped her sleep at night when he was beside her. She looked up to see him pulling on his jacket and tying his shoes, "Tommy?"

He turned and kissed her head gently, "I can't leave him out there."

She nodded and rubbed her eyes, jumping from the bed and doing the same. She pulled her jeans over her legs and shoved some items into a bag, she felt his eyes on her. "What? You know you couldn't do it without me."

"I know, I just didn't want to wake you," she slowly nodded, not believing what he was saying. She knew deep down that Thomas didn't agree with how Rosa wanted to take WICKED down, by having her kill her own mother. He couldn't let her live with the eternal guilt that would have come with it. If he had to do it, he would.

They both unzipped the tent and walked out into the room filled with bunks and hammocks, all of them filled with sleeping Right Arm members. They quietly shut the door behind them and climbed up the stairs outside. They thought they had successfully made it out of the camp without being made until Newt's British voice filled the air, "Where do you think you're going then?"

He switched a light on to reveal him and Marie, both fully kitted out. Rosa scratched the back of her hair, "Newt. Marie-"

"Don't be a twat about it," Newt replied as he stepped up to them, "I'm already here. Come on."