Chapter Thirteen

Once I'd signed the contract, I took to helping Janet with packing her office. I was sitting on the floor putting things into boxes and taking the opportunity to talk with her about her job.

"So, do you keep track of all of his schedules or only the work-related ones?" I pointed to an enormous book with papers and sticky notes protruding from the pages.

"Ugh, don't remind me." She stuffed it into her very large briefcase and continued shredding unnecessary files. "I'm supposed to keep track of everything, but I always allow free time in the schedules and lately he's been using that for less than ideal activities and making my job harder than it has to be."

"Well, hopefully with my help we'll be able to get his media-visible image under control." I took down a large poster calendar off the wall and folded it into three. "I think he's scared about who his dad will bring in to do the job if I say no."

Janet laughed. "I could show you! Some of them are truly frightening. One has her own lip gloss company and wants to 'break into cologne' with a Prince Clarence scent."

"How did she get through the screening process?"

Janet raised an eyebrow and shrugged her shoulders.

"You let her in on purpose, didn't you?"

Her laughter was all I needed to confirm my suspicions. If she could get away with that and still have a job, I was probably going to be fine.

"So are you going to keep my schedule, too, then?" I asked once I had calmed my laughter.

"Did you even read the contract?" she sighed. "You get your own staff. You'll have a personal assistant and two lady's maids. You won't need me."

"Right." I nodded. "Okay." How does one treat a lady's maid? What exactly is a lady's maid?

"And then there's the royal tutor and the queen who will help you learn the rules necessary for your job."

"That's all? I don't get a royal dresser or something?"

"You can use her." Janet shrugged. "But I don't think they have the intention of bringing someone on just for you."

"That was a joke, Janet." How didn't she catch that?

"Ah, sorry." She smiled and put her hand on my shoulder. "I forget you haven't lived in a palace before. If there's a job, we have staff for it."

"So, do I have a schedule yet?" I taped the last box closed and put it on the pile. "Or do I not get to see it until I meet my personal assistant?"

"You do have a schedule." She picked her bag up off the desk and carried it out into the living room. "I have it here, somewhere."

"You don't have to dig it out now, Janet!" I put my hand on hers to stop her from digging around in the bag. "I'll read it on the plane."

"Oh, that's a good idea!" She looked me up and down. "I think we need to get you out of those bulldog pyjamas, though. You need to be dressed appropriately when you exit the royal jet."

Royal jet? I'd been on a plane like twice in my life, and now I was going on a royal jet?

At 6:00, while I was still doing my hair, Janet's work phone started playing the national anthem of Montalivet very loudly from the kitchen counter. I'd always thought she was just very patriotic, but now I understood it meant the king was calling. Without a word, Janet sprang up off my bed and ran down the hallway to pick it up.

I sprayed my hair one last time before throwing the supplies in my purse. I have a feeling I'm going to need to fix this on the plane.

"Yes, Your Majesty. I will," Janet spoke into the phone as she returned to my room. "I have her here and we will be ready at half past."

There was a pause for the inaudible murmur on the other end of the line before Janet spoke again, "Yes, of course, sir. I'll let them in right away. Thank you. Good day."

"Who are we letting in?" I asked, pointing to my hair to request her approval.

"Looks perfect," she answered. "And we're letting in the moving crew. They have to pack up all of our boxes to take to storage or back to Montalivet so I have to be here when they arrive and tell them which boxes go where."

"Good thing we labelled everything," I laughed. "Now, do you want me to wear the suit or the dress today?"

She made quick work of pulling things out of my bag to match the dress she said was most appropriate for the occasion. I talked her down from diamond earrings to small pearl ones and then she left to direct the movers while I got ready.

When I finally looked at myself in the mirror, I seemed like a different version of myself. I took a deep breath to steady myself. You can do this, Genevieve. You will be fabulous.

I zipped up my suitcase, slid on the dark shoes that Janet had bought to match my skin, and grabbed my purse. Like an actor in costume, I was ready to face my new role.

"Genevieve are you ready?" Janet called down the hallway. "I need your suitcase for the movers and our car will be here in less than five minutes." Her voice grew louder as she walked towards me until she finished her sentence and poked her head in my door, "And I know Clarence will be late, but we don't want to have you starting your new job off on the wrong foot now, do we?"

I laughed to keep from shaking in fear and nodded. "Yes. I mean no. We don't."

She smiled gently at me. "You look nice by the way. You'll fit right in."

A loud knock at the door caused us both to jump.

"That must be our driver." Janet pointed to my purse. "Don't forget anything you want on the plane with you. I'll have the movers bring your suitcase."

She didn't even wait for me to answer before she was out of my room and jogging down the hallway towards the front door.

I picked up my things and followed her out the front door after a brief stop in the kitchen for some snacks I had prepared.

When I came out of the house, the driver was already putting our luggage into the trunk, so with only the clothes on our backs and a small purse each, we climbed into the back of the car. Just before he closed the door, the driver stuck his head into the car. "Are we all ready, Miss?"

 "Are we all ready, Miss?"