Chapter Fifty Six

I help Flynn over to a bench in the middle of the room. He sits down but a look of agony crosses his face whenever he tries to move the leg that was hit. He sits his leg up on the bench and leans his back against the wall. I lean against the wall, surveying the room. There is a small sink with a cabinet next to it. The only other thing is a bucket between the wall and sink.

Ignoring the pain from my ankle due to my fall, I walk over to the cabinet and open the wooden doors. I take a quick inventory of everything inside. A sewing kit and first aid kit are neighbors on the top shelf. On the second shelf, there are stacks of thin blankets and washcloths. And on the bottom shelf, there are bottles of clean water and non perishable food. I pull out the sewing kit, several blankets, and the first aid kit.

"So, um, do you know how to fix a bullet wound?" I ask. Flynn shakes his head. I sit the things I gathered earlier at his left foot, which is hanging off the bench. I walk back to the cabinet and take out a washcloth. I turn on the water and wait for it to cool.

"No. But it needs to come out," Flynn says. I nod and watch the water falls out of the faucet. I decide to make the time useful and lay several blankets out on the ground.

"Um, can you lay on your stomach?" I ask. Flynn nods and tries to stand up but starts to loose his balance. Before he can fall I'm at his side. I help him over to blankets and help him to lay out. Once he's in a good position, I find a pair of scissors from the sewing kit and cut away the pants from the knee down on his right leg. I throw the fabric to the side, trying to keep myself from passing out because of the amount of blood.

"How bad is it?" Flynn asks. I force myself to look, knowing I'll have to eventually. There's a hole almost right in the middle of the calf. I can almost see all of the bullet, meaning it didn't go in deep enough for anything to be hurt. The leg is stained red from the bleeding.

"Gross but I will try to do something. I read a book once where a character was shot. They removed the bullet and gave the character stiches so I'll try it. I'm gonna clean it first so it will probably sting. Just stay still," I say. I walk back over to the sink and run the washcloth under the now cold water. I carry it back over to Flynn and clean all the blood off his leg.

He stays silent as I spray disinfectant on the wound. Next, I find a pair of tweezers, thankfully, and remove the bullet. I sit with the fabric of his pants. I spray more disinfectant on his leg. And then, it's time for the stiches.

"I'm going to do the stiches now," I say. He doesn't reply, just gives me a thumbs up. I take out a thin needle and black thread, thankful for all the sewing lessons I was forced to have. I stick the needle into the skin. He cringes but doesn't speak. I carefully guide the needle down his leg, pulling the skin together. When I finish, I tie a knot, unsure of what to do with the thread. One time my brother fell and had to have stiches. They glued the string down, though, which is something I don't have access to. I spray more disinfectant on the wound and tie a strip of clean blanket around his leg.

"Are you done?" Flynn asks. I nod and tie everything I used up in the a blanket.

"Yeah. I'll help you up. Just be careful," I say. He nods. I help him get to his feet again and guide him over to the bench. I turn around to walk away but he grabs my wrist. I turn to look at him. His hazel eyes stare up into mine.

"Thank you," he whispers. I open my mouth to respond but he pulls me down and plants his lips onto mine. I don't hesitate to kiss back. He moves his hands to my back and pulls me even closer. He pulls back and whispers, "I love you, Celia."

It leaves me shocked. I gasp. I know he really means it, though. And I know that I feel the same.
The end! I will post and epilogue, I promise! And maybe a sequel? I'm not sure, though. You all were probably hoping for a big romantic proposal but I was just like nah. This is way more unique. So, don't get mad! Please comment and vote!

Disclaimer: Kiera Cass owns The Selection, not me.