Secret Court

[M/N][L/N] P.O.V

A few days have passed, now Nero, Asta and I walked to the Clover Kingdom Parliament Courthouse. I felt like this wasn't going to be just some talk. They told us we were just going in to explain our side as testimonies of the war but I couldn't help but feel wary and cautious. From my knowledge no one trusts peasants especially orphans. I told Asta and Nero which Nero agreed with me silently. She wanted to turn back with me. This seemed sketchy but Asta still walked in saying everything would be fine despite his shaking knees. Nero gave me a look and I sighed.

Turns out Nero and I were right, the moment we stepped in the Asta and Nero were handcuffed which I didn't get because they didn't realise me. I'm glad for my non existent presence. Asta freaked out as Nero pointed out it was a trap. I kept quiet as I stood behind them. Everyone was murmuring from above with their faces hidden behind fans until they heard footsteps from down the hallway as the chairman of the parliament began speaking. My eyes widened when I realised it was that guy I saw the other day from his mana presence. Thankfully, he reintroduced himself as Damnatio Kira since I already forgot. I was going to call him Domino. I'm not sure why but that made me think of pizza.

Damnatio looked down on Asta as he began speaking. He started with Asta with his background like how he was from the Black Bulls, from a church Hage Village. He called him a peasant who has no detectable magic and the people above continued insulting him saying he was from the forsaken realm. If Asta was from a forsaken realm then who knows what I'm from.

Then, Damnatio moved onto Nero. He didn't even try to find out her name as the kingdom had no record of her birth but if only they had put effort into finding her birth documents. All royals had documents from hundreds of years ago. I'm glad I grabbed those papers with Nero. He pointed out that her horns were a clear sign of forbidden magic. Asta tried to explain himself but nothing was working out. The man looked around before announcing.

"It seems that (M/N) isn't here"

The insults began flowing in but I stepped up. I announced my presence carefully by using formalities such a your honour and bowing as I said it. A lot of people gasped as they called me evil for appearing out of nowhere which I wanted to laugh at. It was them being and dramatically overreacting. Damnatio gave me a look of surprise as before settling back into a frown. He then began speaking about me.

"(M/N), a nobody from the Hage Village. No parents nor caretakers. He is most likely from of the forbidden realm too. Even worse, using magic types which shouldn't be possible with seemingly more than three. He is also under the accusation controlling the demons from behind the scenes."

"(M/N) has never done such a thing!" Asta yelled but I turned around and shushed him with pleading eyes. This wouldn't help our situation at all. He quieted down as I apologised for Asta's behaviour. All the insults were now directed at me with things such a nobody, thief, scum, scoundrel but I kept quiet. Silently hoping that Asta would keep quiet too. We just needed to buy time.

My confidence was plummeting and my stomach dropped as I heard Damnatio footsteps come down the stairs. He leaned in next to me but he was clearly addressing Asta. He told Asta that from the very beggining that we only had two options, either I take the whole blame being convicted as the mastermind leaving Asta and Nero with partial blame. They would be known as people taken for hostages for the demons I worked with. The second option was the Magic Knights pay for their sins.

"(M/N) can't abandon people, he's like that. Too caring for his own good and you, you're impulsive, simple minded. Easy to deal with. That's your true nature and you can't abandon the people too."

"Don't talk to Asta like that..." I growled lowly.

"You should keep quiet (M/N), you know how the justice system works." Damnatio said into my ear giving Asta a look as I grit my teeth. I could feel Asta getting angry and Damnatio's cold stare. He moved away from me as he said that if I hadn't been in communication with the devil and forced the other two as vessels then the judgement would be passed on. He brought Mary into the room and she looked scared.

My knees felt weak, who brings a child into this?! My eyes went wide but I told Asta and Nero to keep still. He told us about Mary and how she was a ruined noble from the house of Adlai. He brought up Gauche being an ex convict too. He spun the story so that it seemed her hatred which she didn't have any of towards the nobles caused indirect harm to everyone. However, I couldn't keep still as they raised their wands at Mary.

"I'm sorry your honour, but your way of doing things is unacceptable."

Growling, I went into my semi awakened state making the people gasp in utter disgust at me as I took the hit for Mary. My back hurt from the magic but I dared not to raise a hand since the story could still be spun around. Mary cried as she saw the damage. I turned around with her completely unharmed and Asta jumped in as well in his demon form deflecting the second wave of attacks. Damnatio looked disgusted at us.

"And we won't attempt to reach an understanding with you."

A/N: In court, Asta's actions would definitely not fly so I made (M/N) more leading in the end of this chapter to try and keep Asta still. There's also the two opposite ways of reacting to their accusations. One is (M/N) who knows to keep his silence and second was Asta who yells. Anyways, thanks for reading!

 Anyways, thanks for reading!