nineteen

hannah was, once again, tanning on the front of the boat. pogie was curled up beside her, relishing in the warmth of the sun and company of those around him. the two had decided to accompany pope and jj on their deliveries for heyward since there was nothing entertaining to do at the chateau.

"you boys get these groceries over to figure eight," heyward demanded, handing the bags of supplies to the two boys.

"and girl!" hannah waved her hand.

"i don't see you helping," heyward sassed, making hannah raise her hands in defense. "get straight back here when you're done. no fishing," heyward returned his attention back to the boys. "i promised delivery by this afternoon. rich folks don't wanna wait for you lazy sons of-" heyward turned to see jj with his arms readily outstretched "-awe, jj, thank you. sons of bitches." hannah snickered at the older man's words. "i'm talking to you too, little sneak!"

"love you too, heyward," hannah blew him kiss as the HMS pogue drifted away.

...

"doesn't even look like the storm hit there," pope groaned as they cruised along the side of figure eight, taking in the 'damages' caused by hurricane agatha.

"that's because they got generators, bro. get used to it."

"cause' agatha preys on the weak and poor!" hannah called from the front of the boat where pogie was standing beside her, tongue hanging out as the wind slapped against his face.

jj nodded. "and then they say the juice will be out all summer at the cut."

"it's nice to be a kook," pope muttered.

"lucky bastards," jj agreed.

"i'm cool with no power," hannah shrugged, "means i don't need to pay for electricity bills. more money for weed and pods."

"you would say that."

...

"okay so me and han will go take this stuff to the country club and jj you'll-"

"hey, how come you get han?" jj interrupted.

"because i can't carry all this on my own," pope explained.

"boys, boys," hannah laughed, "there's enough of me to go around. jay, you're a big boy, you'll be fine. let me go with pope."

jj sighed. "fine."

hannah grinned, pecking jj's cheek before slinging an arm around pope and helping him with the groceries. "jealousy's a good look on you, jay!" hannah called over her shoulder.

pope laughed at the girl's antics as they made their way through the golf course, pogie following at their heels. "when are you two finally gonna get together?"

hannah shrugged, trying her best to hide the blush creeping up her neck. "i don't know. he's my best friend. i just kind of go with what happens, you know? if fate says it's meant to be, it'll happen when the time is right."

pope was shocked by the girl's words. he'd never struck her to be someone who believed in any sort of divine figure. "you believe in fate?"

"well, yeah. i think the idea that we have this path that life takes us on makes a lot of sense, and when we hit a fork in the road, it's up to us to choose which direction we go. certain things are inevitable, but, for the most part, we choose our own fate."

pope nodded, even after knowing her for over five years she still managed to surprise him.

"hey, what's up, man?" the two turned to see rafe stalking towards them and topper chasing after him. "hey, how much for one of those beers?"