Chapter 12: Bad Karma

The next day at work the office was buzzing. Whispers and shuffling to carry news were the main intentions since I clocked in this morning. Unable to hide my curiosity anymore, I turned to Claire with round eyes.

"Why is everyone such a busybody this morning? Did something happen?"

"Haven't you heard?" She inquired in disbelief.

I tilted my head at her in confusion. "Heard what?"

Clearly thrilled by the prospect of being the first one to break the news to me, she gestured with her forefinger for me to lean forward.

With a bit of hesitancy I did the deed, and she leant in then whispered, "Mr. Gomez got fired."

I pulled back in state of shock. "What?!"

"Shhh!" She hushed me up quickly, hand covering my mouth.

The couple heads that turned at my outburst gave us weird looks before getting back to their own gossiping session.

Hypocrites, I thought sourly.

After getting over my initial shock, my eyelids lowered to indicate for the girl to release my mouth.

Almost unwillingly, she retracted her hand before a dust of pink covered her cheeks.

Claire coughed before mindlessly wiping her hand against her skirt.

"As I was saying, the spawn of satan finally got burnt by his own flames."

"What do you mean? Why did he get fired? Did he do something?"

"One question at a time, sweetie." She advised and I slowed down, taking a much needed breath. "And if you must know, he's been caught for sexually harassing female workers and asking personal favors of them. Betty who has that odd butterfly tattoo on her leg and another woman spoke up about the allegations against him. They said they too had once fallen victims to his predatory acts. About ten minutes before you came, he was escorted out by the investigators."

"Wow," I blew out a deep breathe filled with amazement.

What were the chances that just yesterday he had tried the same thing with me?

Unfortunately, it seemed I wasn't the first one he had done it to.

That got me thinking just how many females had he offered that 'promotion' to?

No, the bigger question was: how many of them had fallen for his filthy tricks?

As sad as it was, not everyone was brave enough to deny someone like him.

There were people who broke in the face of others whom were considered powerful by societal standards. Not to mention the fact that there were a few who could have been tempted by the idea of getting ahead in life with a new job title.

I shivered at how vile and evil all of this was.

Had Mr. Gomez always been this disgusting human being?

"How did they find out in the first place? Was he caught in the act?" I blocked the view of my words with the base of my hand while asking in a hushed voice.

She shook her head.

"An anonymous person blew the whistle with video evidence."