42

"Wake up, cuties!"

Alex's excited voice startled me awake on the bus. Fox still slept with his head in my lap, laying down across the seats.

Soon after we got banished to our hotel rooms earlier in the day, the coaches announced we would be leaving but didn't tell us anything other than that.

It was quite late, almost eleven PM when we finally made it back to the school. I could already see Dad's car waiting for Josh and me in the parking lot.

I placed my hand on Fox's cheek, moving it up to stroke his hair.

"Wake up," I said, gently tugging on his hair.

He groaned, squinting up at me. Alex leaned over the seat, putting his face in front of Fox's. Fox shoved his face away and sat up.

"That just ruined my night," Fox said, glaring over at Alex.

"You're so fucking rude, you know that?" Alex retorted with a matching glare.

I laughed at their banter, standing up and following them out of the bus. We all gathered our things and Coach Silva told us we would have a team meeting when we got back to school.

"You should come over tomorrow before Ryan's New Year's Eve party, we can go together," Fox suggested as the team dispersed. "If you're actually let out of your house."

"I don't know if my dad will let me out of his sight," I admitted with a sigh.

Fox nodded, looking down at the ground as he adjusted his bag on his shoulder.

"Hopefully I'll see you," he said, looking up at me. "I gotta go though. Ian's waiting for me."

"Yeah, my Dad's been staring at us since we got out of the bus," I told him, nodding toward the car where Dad sat with Josh beside him.

Fox looked toward the car briefly then back at me. He seemed to be contemplating something before he said one last goodbye and headed over to his car.

I sighed, wishing he would have kissed me but knowing he didn't because my Dad had been watching us. My feet dragged on the pavement as I trudged over to the car, popping the trunk and throwing my bag inside before sliding into the back seat.

"Are you alright, Elijah?" Dad asked as I put my seatbelt on.

"I'm fine," I told him truthfully.

What happened at the tournament hadn't scarred me as bad as it could have. It could have gone a lot worse. I was still relieved that it was over but I knew I was lucky it hadn't been worse.

"We'll talk more in the morning," Dad said as he started out of the parking lot. "All of us."

Josh and I shared a look but didn't say anything. Coach Silva must have called all the parents about what had gone on because Dad didn't seem surprised by the bruises on our faces.

The next morning I woke up earlier than I anticipated. Dad was already downstairs with Mindy, both of them turning to me when they heard my footsteps enter the kitchen.

Mindy instantly stood up and gave me a hug, kissing my cheek.

"I missed my boys," Mindy admitted with a smile as she pulled away. "I'm sorry you guys couldn't finish the tournament."

I just shrugged. It wasn't that I was worried about. I was more worried about this affecting the rest of the season and our chances at college hockey. I had already applied to plenty of schools near and far, but I was still hoping to sign with a team, as were the rest of the guys I was sure.