15.

"CLEAN UP

"CLEAN UP.."

--¤☆¤--

Sitting in the shallow waters, I was scrubbing the last of the blood out of Wiress's knotted up hair. It sucked that we didn't have soap. But, saltwater would do for now. Humming a song quietly, she clutches her hands together and stares out into the water. In her own little world. Totally oblivious to everything. I wish I could do that.

"Hickory Dickory Dock, the mouse ran up the clock. The clock struck one, the mouse ran down. Hickory Dickory Dock." Wiress whispered softly, leaning into my touch.

I knew that rhyme. Stopping for a second, I started to think about the nursery rhyme that Wiress was singing. Each hour that the clock struck a different hour, a mouse would run down the clock. Which was kinda similar to the arena, each hour it seemed like someone would die in different sections of the arena.

"Hey Katniss, you said last night that you heard twelve gongs, right?" I ask, furrowing my brows.

"Yeah, then lightning hit the tree twelve times, why?" She asks, her eyes darting between me and Wiress.

Thinking to myself long and hard, I theorized that the gongs were the clock ringing midnight and that every hour there was a new horror in different parts of the arena. But, I could be overthinking the situation. But, only that part of the arena became active. Strange.

All I needed now was something to prove my theory. A bang. Something, anything. Furrowing my brows together, I tried to keep my mind from wandering, but I couldn't help it. I just thought about Milama. About what she had said to me when I last saw her.

"The clock is ticking, but your time hasn't come yet.." Milama's voice rang in my head.

Wait a second. Furrowing my brows, I thought that it was strange that she kept on repeating the words clock and time. It was almost like she was hinting at something. Clock. Time. Tick Tock. It makes sense! It all makes sense! Each hour there's a new horror. Oh my god! Oh my god! The Arena's a clock! It's one giant clock! That's why the blood rain was only in our sector. Cause it was time for that horror to show up.

"You also said that the fog stopped? Like there was a glass barrier that was forcing it back?" I asked, as she nodded.

"What are you getting at?" She says, pursing her lips together.

"I think⎯No I know, that the arena's clock. It makes so much sense now. Each hour something new happens in each sector. You guys could have wandered into a different section, that's probably why the fog stopped." I said, as Wiress stops singing and starts to nod her head in approval.

"You're a genius, Wiress! Both of you are!" Katniss said, as the gears in her head started to move.

Clapping her hands together, Wiress gave us a bashful smile before humming the song a little louder. Like it was a victory song. Rocking back and forth in place, she smiles at the small waves that crashed against our waists. She was clever. Figuring it all out before me. Singing the song. Making a ticking of a clock sound. She just didn't know how to express it while being dehydrated and in shock.