16. Saving Ah-ro

Chapter 16.
Saving Ah-ro.

As Sa-do was walking back towards the tent she heard a scream. It was Ah-ro. Breaking into a sprint; she chased the sound and the sight made her blood cold. She had to find the boys. Without thinking or looking properly she ran back. Suddenly she crashed into someone. It was Ji-dwi, she realized with relief.

Ji-dwi barely had time to move when a familiar figure collided with him. His arms wrapped around her waist before Sa-do could fall. She looked at him and Ji-dwi had never seen her so frightened since when Park Young-shil had come to Seonmoon.

She was on the verge of breakdown as two glistening tears slid down her cheeks. This sent Ji-dwi into full alert. "Sa-do," he whispered as he cupped her cheeks and inspected her face followed by the rest of her body trying to find any injury. No. She wasn't hurt. He had never seen her like this and he didn't know what to do and it made him feel uselessly helpless.

"Help." Ji-dwi's eyes snapped back up to her charcoal ones. "Ah-ro... they took her... I don't know what to do." Sa-do was shaking by now as more tears streamed down her face, her eyes pleading with him.

Placing his hands on her shoulders to hold her still he asked, "who took her?" Who would dare to kidnap the doctor of Seonmoon. It was too dangerous, even for a high rank noble. The punishment for it couldn't be worth the risk.

"The head of the royal guard."

His mother had taken Ah-ro? But why? Sa-do was already muttering incomprehensibly about anything and everything, her unfocused eyes darting everywhere. "Jae-won?" Ji-dwi called out gently, trying to get her attention but to no avail. "Jae-won?" he tried again, a bit louder, as he shook her shoulders. Nothing. "SA-DO!"

That finally snapped her out of it and her eyes bore into his once more. The fear and vulnerability in them softened him.

"I will find her. Trust me."

Sa-do nodded mutely. Cupping her cheeks again and leaning down to look straight into her eyes, he continued, his tone firm but pleading, "but I need you to head back to Seonmoon with the others. Please?"

Sa-do opened her mouth to protest but Ji-dwi was already done talking and had taken a hold of her hand as he pulled her towards their tent. Their roommates were waiting outside for them. Ji-dwi placed her hand in Ban-ryu's, who just happened to be nearest to him.

"Take her back to Seonmoon with you. Make sure she doesn't leave. Do not let her out of your sight," he ordered the other Hwarang before promptly exiting, leaving behind four highly perplexed roommates in his wake.

Sa-do finally seemed to snap out of her reverie. No. He can't go alone. What if he got killed? She made a move to follow Ji-dwi.

Ban-ryu stopped her, grabbing her wrist and pulling her back. "You heard what he said."

"I don't care what he said. I can't let him go alone," she snapped at him as she struggled in his grip. Her heart was racing as panic seized her chest making it harder for her to breathe. This didn't go unnoticed and Ban-ryu brought her into his side in a half embrace as he tried to soothe her.