09: "I promise."

I wake up in the hospital wing, feeling groggy and out of it as I open my eyes and sit up in confusion.

"Hey, relax." I jump at the sound of a voice, turning to see Sirius sitting next to my bed. "You passed out in the middle of class because apparently you took the leaves off of a Drigomid plant, which releases a toxin that is used to make sleeping potions. It's actually exactly what Sprout told us not to do, but you were high on painkillers, so."

I barely listen to his explanation, as taking one look at him is enough to get me angry and have me throwing off the sheets that cover me. I stand up and circle around the bed as he hops to his feet.

"Cassidy, wait." He stands in front of me, "Can we just talk?"

"I have nothing to say to you, Black." I walk past him, but he grabs my arm. Without thinking, I yelp out at the pain that courses through me from the cuts that my father put in me, which are still healing.

He retracts his arm and looks at me in alarm and confusion as my eyes widen in realization at what I've done.

"What was that?" He asks lowly, glancing at my arm before scanning my face.

"Just a bruise," I lie easily, turning around and going to head out of the room before he grabs my hand and pulls my sleeve up, aiming my forearm at the light so the word BITCH can be seen clear as day.

I yank my arm away as he stares at the word, an unreadable expression on his face as I back away from him.

"Who the hell did that to you?" His voice is a low growl, and I shrug.

"What's it to you?" I ask, masking my hurt from his betrayal with a nonchalant expression, "Gonna go tell the dinner table?"

He just continues to stare at me, and I laugh dryly.

"Maybe you would've done fine in Slytherin after all."

I don't mean it, but I need to hurt him like he hurt me. I find that after saying it, however, I feel worse, so I turn on my heel before I can see his sad eyes, storming out of the Hospital Wing and into the corridor. I walk quickly, pushing away angry and sad tears alike before someone throws something at me and I lose it.

"Can you just leave me the hell alone?" I shout at the Ravenclaw boy once the newspaper bounces off of my chest, people turning as I yell, "What is wrong with all of you anyway? I didn't choose to be transferred! I didn't choose any of this! Stop being shitty people and just move on!"

They look away, some seeming guilty but others laughing as the Ravenclaw boy heads in the opposite direction.

"Just wanted you to know you made the headline, Milton!" He calls behind him, and my stomach drops, looking down at the newspaper he had thrown at me and quickly unravelling it.

Sure enough, my surprised expression gazes back up at me, blinking in confusion and looking as though I just saw a ghost. Above me, in large black letters read the headline.

FROM SNAKE TO LION, THE VERY FIRST HOUSE TRANSFER IN HISTORY

I cover my mouth with my hand and back up until I hit the wall, my eyes scanning over the story.

Cassidy Milton, of the infamous pureblood Slytherin family, has just made wizarding world history. The first day at Hogwarts is usually a time where newcomers get sorted into the houses they'll spend the next seven years in, but for Milton, the case is a little different. Former Slytherin student, she was suddenly transferred to Gryffindor, much to everyone's shock. Milton claims that 'the transition has been hard', and her 'classmates are nothing but ruthless'. Not only that, but upon an interview with her father, he says that he 'never expected such a disgraceful occurrence' to happen in his family, and he is 'beyond disappointed'.