Chapter 28 - Mud Puddles

Another short one for you but they're getting longer, I promise :)

 The Easter holidays came and went and soon it was time for another Hogsmeade trip. The four Slytherins were sat inside the Three Broomsticks, each with half a pint of butterbeer left. Although it was nice to be out the castle, the four of them silently agreed they were bored. They finished their pints while chatting about various things until Draco stood up, "Shall I get another round in?" he asked the group.

 "I'm not really feeling it today," Daphne confessed and there were murmurs of agreement.

 "Theo, didn't you say you needed to pick up a new book?" Al asked, "I wouldn't mind a browse either." So, the group left the pub to go and have a look at books. Because that's the exciting sorts we are, Al thought to herself.

 Al found a book on ancient runes of the Vikings that looked fascinating and Theo soon found his book. They were in and out of the shop in twenty minutes. "It's quite a nice day," Daphne said, "Why don't we have a wander up to the shrieking shack?"

 Draco rolled his eyes and Al elbowed him, "That sounds like a plan," Theo said. So the group made the ten minute trek up to the haunted building. It was quiet and empty up there, save for one Weasel by himself.

 "Look who it is!" Draco exclaimed with glee as Al and Daphne busied themselves with reading the historical plaque and Theo started on his book.

 "Bugger off, Malfoy," the Weasel spat and Al rolled her eyes. This was the last thing she wanted for the day.

 "Suppose you'd love to live here, wouldn't you?" Draco continued, "Don't all your family live in one room?" The Weasel's ears turned red and Al couldn't help but smirk - Ron could do with taking down a peg or two every now and then.

 "I was just thinking about your friend Hagrid," Draco said, "Imagining what he was saying to the Committee for the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures? Do you think he'll cry?" He was going a bit far now and Al nearly stepped in, but then...

 SPLAT! Out of nowhere a small pile of mud came tumbling down the back of Draco's neck. It was in his hair, and Al could see it dripping down his shirt. She laughed to herself. "What the-"

 He twirled around looking for the sources of the mud. Theo hurriedly shoved his new book into Al's bag and Al whipped her wand out. She had a sneaking suspicion her cousin was nearby with his invisibility cloak.

 The Weasel was gripping onto the fence from laughing so hard. Daphne huddled behind Theo, who also had his wand out. Where was Harry? "Pretty haunted up here isn't it?" Ron gasped between breaths.

 From behind them, Daphne and Theo got splattered in the thick, green sludge. It dripped down both their faces, a handful having been splattered across their cheeks. Daphne let out a squeal, "Oh Merlin, it's in my eyes!" Draco hurried over to them and he and Theo tried to help her scrape it out. Al continued to look around for the source.

 She headed over to a big, untouched mud puddle, having thought she heard a scuffle. She was two metres away when she began to smell it - a foul, mouldy, egg-like smell. A rock was kicked from behind her and she whipped around. SPLAT! A huge pile landed on her head - four times the size of any of the others. She closed her eyes and tried to scrape it off, only for it to drip down faster. She shoved her wand in her pocket so she didn't drop it as it began to drip down her back. It was cold and slow and felt like a giant snail crawling down. Al squirmed in spite of herself, "Oh my God!" she shouted in surprise.

 Al was just scraping it out her eyes (which actually made it worse) when she was shoved from in front. She would've been able to catch herself, but she tripped over something, and fell backwards. Straight into the puddle. She gasped as she felt herself collide with the stinking liquid - it was a lot deeper than it looked. She was fully submerged and she felt some of it go into her mouth. It tasted so much worse than it smelt. She kicked the bottom upward and soon found herself upright, though she was still waist deep.

 She rubbed her eyes and glanced around to see Ron stood at the edge of the puddle, laughing hysterically. He'd pushed her in!

 "Potter!" Draco shouted, pointing at where she'd been shoved, "I saw Potter's head!" Sure enough, Al heard invisible footsteps running away.

 "Shut up, Draco, and help me!" Theo shouted, holding out his arm as Al waded towards him. The Weasel was still laughing at her as she climbed out the puddle with the help of her three friends. Flies swarmed around the four of them and Al thought she might vomit from the smell of them. "Scourgify!" Theo tried, to little effect.

 Al too had her wand out again, but in anger this time. She started casting a string of hexes in Ron's direction, each in quick succession, and it took all he had to dodge them. Eventually he sprinted away, leaving the four of them to themselves. "I suppose we ought to head back to the castle," Daphne said in dismay and the others agreed. What an excellent day.