Chapter 8

"Christopher!" Anna shouted as she ran around the apartment after the Niffler, who had managed to snatch one of Anna's rings, and was now scampering around the apartment so that he could stash it away before Anna could catch him. He squeaked as Cedric lifted him up, prying the ring out of his fingers.

"We can't even leave you alone for five seconds." Cedric gently scolded the creature, who nuzzled his face into Cedric's neck, as though asking for forgiveness.

"You can't stay angry at him for long." Anna said with a laugh as she took the ring from Cedric and slipped it onto her finger. It was Christmas Eve, Cedric had gone out and gotten a small Christmas tree. It wasn't anything grand, but to Anna it was perfect. But Cedric had a surprise for Anna: Remus was coming over. Cedric had told him the truth about what had happened with Anna and they had made arrangements for him to come over with Cody for Christmas Eve dinner.

There was a knock at the door, and Cedric asked Anna to see who it was while he checked on the roast. Anna went to the door and opened it. Her eyes widened in surprise and she gasped. "Remus..."

Remus immediately hugged her and Anna hugged him back as she began to tear up. Cody yipped and jumped on her leg, as though saying that he needed some attention too. Anna scooped him up and she buried her face into his fur. "I'm sorry." She whisperedas Remus continued to hug her.

"It's alright." He murmured quietly. "Cedric told me everything, how you had false memories, and how you're now working as a spy for Dumbledore." He smiled softly as he pulled away. "Cody's missed you. These days he mostly just wanders around the house and sulks."

Anna chuckled softly as she put Cody down, and the Crup dashed away, barking happily as he began to play with Christopher.

"Dinner's just about ready." Cedric walked up, and Anna giggled. He was wearing an apron that said 'kiss the chef'. "What in Merlin's name are you wearing?"

"I was making the gravy." Cedric protested as Anna and Remus both laughed. "I didn't want to have any of it splatter onto my clothes."

Anna shook her head as she kissed Cedric's cheek. "You're such a dork." She said with a laugh, and Cedric grinned at her. "Yeah, but I'm your dork."

"Can you please not kiss while I'm in the room?" Remus asked, causing the two younger people to laugh. Suddenly the front door flew open, and five people in masks came in. Death Eaters. Anna's cover had been blown. Cody charged at one of the men and was blasted back, hitting the wall. He was alive, Anna could hear him whimpering.

"Run!" Cedric yelled at Anna. "It's you that they want! You need to go!" 

"I'm not leaving you!" Anna cried out. There was no way that she was going to let them handle this on their own.

"We can't let them capture you!" Cedric shouted. "We'll be fine! My broom is in the bedroom! Take it and go!"

Anna turned and ran into the bedroom, grabbing the broom from the closet. She could  hear spells going back and forth in the other room. How had they found out about her? Who had blown her cover? She yanked the window open, and saw three more Death Eaters milling around outside. One of them gave a shout and pointed at Anna as she climbed out of the window. When her feet touched the concrete, she mounted the broom and shot into the air, barely managing to avoid a spell that had been shot at her. Only when she had disappeared behind the clouds did Anna finally relax. Where would she go? She didn't really know. She couldn't stay with anyone that she knew, that would only put them in danger, and Anna wasn't going to do that. She didn't really have any money either, so she couldn't stay at a motel. She suddenly remembered that the Grangers had a summer cottage in Scotland. No one would be there, and none of the Death Eaters knew about it. Anna could stay there and stay safe. She shivered as the cold air nipped at her skin. She muttered a warming spell before flying off towards the cottage.

When she finally arrived a few hours later, Anna was chilled to the bone. She had stayed above the clouds to avoid being spotted, and it had been freezing, especially since she didn't have a coat. It was a miracle that she didn't have frostbite or something like that. She lifted up the doormat that was in front of the door and grabbed the key, going inside and locking the door. She went straight for the living room, where there was a small fireplace. She immediately started a fire,sighing as the red and orange flames began to warm up her body. Her thoughts turned to Cedric and Remus. Were they okay? Had the Death Eaters killed them? Anna tried to stay positive, but it was hard because she didn't know if they were dead or alive. She couldn't risk trying to contact them and risk giving away her location. She didn't even know if she could go back to Hogwarts. This cottage was the safest place for her right now, until she could figure something else out. Anna yawned as sleep threatened to overwhelm her. But before going to the bedroom she placed wards around the cottage, so that only people who were friends of hers could be able to get past them. When she was certain that enough wards had been placed, she trudged to the bedroom. She said a silent prayer that Remus and Cedric were alright before collapsing on the bed, not even  bothering to get underneath the covers as sleep finally overcame her and she slipped into oblivion.