Chapter 14: Truth Is

"I'm glad you finally decided to come around."

"Yeah, shut up and lead the way." I ordered in a fussy mood before letting my 'superior' guide the way out of the publishing company's building. He didn't bother reacting to me, only walked with a timed pace that looked way too graceful for the regular man's. It wasn't masculine nor was it feminine. There didn't seem to be a distinction of gender for his walk. All I knew was that it pressured me to break at the knees and worship him. It seemed that feeling was becoming more and more common in his presence and that was disturbing in and of itself.

He opened the door of a black BMW and I looked at him in awe. "Yours?"

There was a nod which held no show of pride.

I turned my lips up at that.

Pretending to be humble was so unlike him.

But then again, did I really know him? The real him?

"Aren't you going to get in?" He asked, breaking my reverie. I cleared my throat and slid in the passenger seat compliantly.

He slammed the door shut and took his side of the driver's place.

Despite my brain telling me not to, I stared at him among the dimness of the car. From his heart-shaped lips, high nose and defined jawline, I could see everything in all its glory. It was almost as if he wasn't aware of his glowing; some kind of light always seemed like it was being reflected from an unknown surface onto him. His eyes sparkled with the essence of it and that's when I realized that his brown orbs had changed back to their silver ones. Then he spoke deep and smooth, "Why are you staring at me?"

"You're glowing."

He turned to me with a look that gave off the impression of seeing me as clearly as in the daylight. "Really? I wasn't aware."

The causal manner in which he said so was almost as if he knew—knew that his presence came with a level of power but was simply turning a blind eye to it.

Suddenly my mind was filled with questions, "Do you always make people feel like this around you?"

"How do I make you feel?"

"Inferior."

After the words slipped past my lips I instantly regretted it, however his laughter which came like a sweet song made up for it.

Bringing himself to lean towards me, he locked me in with the seatbelt on my side, his gold skin brushing against my arm. He couldn't be human. Though he could fool anyone with having everything one had, he was too perfect. Way too perfect.

"Do not be intimidated, I am fully aware of the effect I have on your kind," I said nothing. This closeup of him was too much to handle. "Breathe, Isabelle. I know that my beauty is beyond measure but I am no different from you. Just like you—I fear, hurt and love to the point of risking everything. Take a minute to look at me and you'll see my sincerity."

His soft curls of hair were the colour of starlight as they brushed against the tip of my nose. Angelo stared deep into my eyes and I swallowed. Slowly, as if I was stuck within a trance, I nodded in understanding.

He pulled away swiftly. "I'll take you to see the magician now."

My hands gripped the leather beside me nervously. "Okay."

Being in his company the whole ride which covered about an hour of silence, I came to realize that I wasn't equipped to dealing with someone like him.

He was immensely overwhelming, even when he wasn't doing anything but driving.

Thus, I decided to take a nap.