Chapter 38-Just Like The Old Days

The walkers were closing in.
"Head for that storm!" Rex called to Wolffe.
"But we won't be able to see!" Wolffe said.
"We won't," Rex replied. "But a Jedi will."
He looked at you, Kanan, and Ezra.

Soon seven of you were gathered in the crawler while Wolffe continued to drive the crawler through the storm. Kanan was helping him navigate.
"Okay, so we have an advantage," Rex said. "But we'll only get one shot at this.  The second we shoot one of those walkers, they will know where we are."

"So," you said. "Who will take the shot?"
"I think Ezra has to," Rex said.
"Why me?" Ezra asked. "Why couldn't Kanan?"
"I have to guide Wolffe," Kanan said.
"But I don't want to screw it up," Ezra said.

You shook your head and walked over to where the four clone helmets sat. You picked up Knot's helmet and held it close to you. Turning around, you took off your helmet.
You placed your helmet next to Rex's and put Knot's on.
"Don't worry Ezra," you said. "I'll do it."

You were about to walk outside when Ezra grabbed your arm.
"No, I'll do it," he said.
You took off the helmet and smiled.
"You got this, kid," Rex threw his helmet to Ezra before Ezra and Sabine left.

You waited until his voice could be heard through the comms.
"I'm at the cannon," he said.
"Okay Ezra, there is a walker somewhere around point 5," Kanan said.
"Somewhere around point 5, perfect," You heard Ezra mutter.
"I can't see anything," Ezra said. "Scope's busted."
"Don't use your eyes," Kanan said. "You know it's there, let the force guide you."

There was a silence before you heard a giant blast followed by several crashes.
"Got it!" Ezra said.
"Wolffe, that's your opening," Kanan said. "Go!"
Wolffe steered the crawler away from the walkers and got it out of the storm.

You and Rex ran over to The Phantom with Kanan, Ezra, Sabine, and Zeb.
"You have to go now," Rex said.
"What about you?" Ezra asked.
"He's right," Kanan said. "We have to get the information they gave us back to the Rebellion."

Sabine and Zeb ran onto the ship, but Ezra hesitated.
"The other part of our mission was to bring Rex back with us, we can't just abandon them!"
"You're not abandoning anyone, we're covering your escape," Rex said. "Now move!"
Ezra gave Rex his helmet back before he followed Kanan into the ship.
Rex turned around one more time.
"We're soldiers Ezra, this is what we were born to do!" He said before the ship door closed and The Phantom took off and left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You, Rex, and Gregor stared at the walker straight in the face, it's gun pointed directly at the crawler.  The power was out, and you knew that it was the end.
"We're done for," Rex said. "Brace yourselves!"
"I'm with you till the end of the line, pal," you said shaking Rex's hand one more time before the walker prepared to open fire.

You ducked down and covered your head as you could hear the walker powering up.
"At least we'll get blown to hell, instead of having a boring death," you said to Rex.
"That's one way to look at it," Rex said as you both prepared to get shot.
You closed your eyes as you heard loud blasts coming from above, but you couldn't feel anything.

You opened your eyes and looked up.  You grinned when you saw The Phantom shooting at the walker about to shoot you. Kanan, Zeb, and Ezra jumped out and began to cut open the top of one of the walkers.

Rex laughed.
"Just like the old days," he said.
"The old days? You remember those?" You joked from below him. "All I remember was flying around in a jet pack, and getting peer pressured by my father!"
"You sure you didn't suffer brain damage from that crash two weeks ago?" Rex laughed.

You shook your head and looked up to see Kanan, Ezra, and Zeb jump in the walker and begin to shoot the one that the crawler was pushed up on.
One of the blasts caused Rex to fall out of the gun chair, he was gripping to the back of the seat as he tried to reach for the gun.

"Ah-ah, woah!" Gregor said through the comms. "Power restored!"
Rex climbed back into the chair and aimed the gun at the walker.
With one shot, Rex blasted the walker, letting it fall to the ground in flames.
You watched with a grin on your face as the Empire zipped away on a speeder.

Rex helped Gregor and Wolffe up from the crawler's wreckage.
"Looks like we live to fight another day," he bumped his forearm against Wolffe's and he pat your shoulder.
"Don't we always?" Wolffe smiled.
"Well, we do when we've got a Jedi leading us!" Gregor said laughing.

Kanan was standing on top of the walker in front of Ezra and Zeb.
Rex, Wolffe, and Gregor saluted to him.  You gave him a smile and a nod.

Suddenly, a larger transport ship flew down in front of Kanan.  In it, a droid and a Twi'lek waved at him.

"You have to go now," Wolffe said to you and Rex.
"Are you sure?" You asked.
"Yeah, kid," Wolffe brought out Knot's helmet from behind him. "Go get your girlfriend."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You stood behind the Ghost crew with Rex when they entered their command ship. You were shaking because you were so nervous.
"Don't worry kid," Rex said. "Everything's back to normal now."
"Was it ever?" You raised an eyebrow from under your helmet.
Rex chuckled, but he stayed silent when you both saw a familiar figure.

Ahsoka turned around and the Ghost crew stepped aside revealing Rex, who walked forward. You stayed behind so Rex could see her again.
"Commander," he said. "You got old."
Ahsoka laughed and shook her head.
"Had to happen sometime Rex," Ahsoka said.  She looked at him again before jumping into his arms and giving him a hug.
"Glad you're still alive," Rex said.
"Me too," Ahsoka said.

When they pulled apart, Ahsoka turned to Kanan.
"Thank you for trusting my friend," she said.
"It wasn't easy," Kanan replied. "It's still not."

Rex grinned before speaking again.
"I forgot," he said. "I brought you another surprise too."
The Ghost crew stepped aside once more and you walked out from between them. You took off your helmet and smirked at her.

"Hi 'Soka," you said. "Long time no see."
"(Y/n)," Ahsoka smiled bigger than before and wrapped her arms around you.
"I missed you," you said hugging her back. "I found Ursa's daughter, did you find Bo, and did she smack your butt again?"

Ahsoka pulled apart and shook her head.
"You always say way too much," she said.
"What did I say?" You asked.
"Just shut up," Ahsoka said kissing you fast.

You smirked into the kiss and wrapped your arms around her.  She put on hand on your scar over your armor, and the other around your neck. When you pulled apart, you smiled at her ignoring all the gasps and stares.

"There isn't a Jedi Order anymore," you smiled.
"Even if there was, would we still follow the rules?"
"Good point 'Soka," you said holding her hand.
"Beat that Wolffe," Rex muttered.
"What?" Ahsoka asked.
"Nothing, Commander," Rex said. "Carry on."
"He's still boasting about how he won the bet for when we'd start dating," you whispered.
"I see," Ahsoka smirked. "Rex, you sneak."
"What?" Rex smiled.

"Come on," you said. "We got an Empire to beat."