Chapter 32 - Dementors

Ohoho have I got a big fat chapter for you, folks!! Enjoy :)

 It was a very odd group that walked up the Hogwarts lawn. Ron and Hermione were bound to either side of Pettigrew, and Sirius was holding the wand that levitated the unconscious Snape. Harry walked alongside Sirius and Lupin took up the rear with Al, walking in awkward silence. "I've been thinking about your soul problem," Lupin said to her as they both kept an eye on Pettigrew.

 "Yeah?" Al asked, hopeful in spite of herself.

 "Mm-hm. I think that was why you weren't sorted into Gryffindor," he said.

 Now he really had Al's attention; she'd been wondering that herself as of late, "Go on," she urged.

 "Your soul is your very essence. Without it, there isn't much left. Yours was taken from you when you were young, so there wasn't much there to begin with - you hadn't really become a person yet. But without it you've never had the chance. You've never had the chance to be brave, because you've never been scared." She made to interrupt, but Lupin knew what she was going to say, "Being worried and being fearful aren't the same thing. You've never had to face a fear, so you've never valued bravery. That's why Gryffindor wouldn't take you."

 Al continued to walk in silence, agreeing with what he'd said. It didn't make it any nicer to hear though, "I suppose you're right."

 "There's nothing wrong with it though," he said hurriedly, and Al smiled weakly to herself, "Slytherin is still a worthy house. It doesn't define you," he warned. Then all of a sudden his face began to contort and his torso began to stretch. Al couldn't help but watch in fascination - she'd probably never get this opportunity again.

 Lupin cried out in pain, but it was soon turned to a howl. In front of her stood what could be mistaken for a monster. It looked like the stuff of nightmares. But inside she knew Lupin was there, and she was unashamed to say he was the nicest professor she'd ever had. "Professor?" she called out, "Are you there?"

 Lupin surveyed the group, and then let out a howl before galloping off into the forest. Sirius made to follow, dropping Snape to the floor, but Al grabbed his arm, "We need to sort this out first," she told him, indicating Pettigrew. He nodded in agreement but before he could say anything, Snape got up, looking dishevelled as he pulled his wand out, pointing it at Black.

 Instinctively, Al stood in front of him, pulling out her own wand. Harry followed her lead, "Professor-" she said warningly, but was cut off from the sight accumulating behind him. A swarm of at least three hundred dementors, all heading their way. The world around Al went cold, and she could see as the people around her went rigid with fear.

 "Get him off me!" Ron cried. With a broken leg and tied to Pettigrew, Ron didn't stand a chance. She and Harry rushed over, each untying a person. Not one of the four let go of Pettigrew until Al noticed Sirius stood defenceless.

 She rushed back, "Tell me what to do!" she said watching as Snape summoned puffs of bright white light and Harry did the same. Sirius didn't move as a circle of dementors closed in on the group, "Sirius!" she shouted. A scabby hand clamped around Al's neck. "Diffindo!" she screamed, and the owner fell away as the severed hand dropped to the floor.

 Al looked over to Harry to see if she could somehow copy him. Pettigrew was gone. "Where is he?" she shouted over the hoard of shallow breaths. "Harry!" Ron and Hermione collapsed almost in sync. Then, one dementor hovered above the rest and sucked. Out of Harry's mouth flew a fluorescent white, pearly gas. A soul - her soul. "No!" she shouted, using a knockback jinx, that threw the dementor to one side.

 Al jumped and inhaled the gas-like substance. Her head felt like it was going to explode. She was out cold before she'd even hit the ground.

*****