23. BRACING FOR THE UPCOMING

SANSKAR!!!!

Ragini woke up gasping as a yell echoed in her brain. What did she just see? Just a dream?! It felt real... so real! The darkness engulfing the room added to her horror. She turned on the switch of the bed lamp but in vain. The darkness continued engulfing her sanity. She clutched the bedsheet as she felt a human frame emerging from the darkness approaching her, the steps seemed predatory. Her pupils dilated as it approached her; her body froze. She could hear her own heartbeat adding to the misery. Droplets of sweat and tears made its way down slowly. Every second seemed to be lengthier than an hour. As the fear reached its heights, a want to overcome her fear overpowered and she pushed down the water jug placed on the table besides making the person startle and withdraw a step.

"Ragz.." Sanskar shook her trying to bring Ragini out of trance. He extended his hands to plug the lamp and switched it on bringing the darkness which haunted Ragini to an end.

What he saw the next moment shattered his hearts into bits. The ever-smiling Ragz of Sanskar had a face profusely wet with her own tears. The depth of her eyes emitted something he couldn't apprehend or he could but didn't wanted to be. FEAR! He had seen her fretting on lot of things but this has to be beyond his imagination.

Ragini's hands suddenly flew to Sanskar's collar as if she wanted to make sure his presence. Her tight hold slowly loosened and her hands slid down to his chest. She could feel the thud-dhud of his heart. Was that his or hers?

"Ragz.. Everything is fine. You're with me. Breathe! Okay." Sanskar tried to ease her horror stricken mind.

But she continued to feel his heartbeat which ensured her his presence as tears continued to roll down. Sanskar tried to move away but she tightened her hold forming a fist out of his t-shirt. "Let me get some water, Ragz." He said glancing the broken jug and caressing her cheeks.

Again, she opted to continue her hold as she nodded her head sideways. She was feeling miserable and couldn't express it.

"Sanskar! Ragini!" A soft but steady tap on the door startled Ragini.

"All fine?" A worried Adarsh asked. "I heard sound of something breaking. Everything fine?" He asked holding a yellow file but his voice showing his genuine concern.

"You didn't sleep, bhaiya?" Sanskar sighed. "Just, Ragini got a bad dream. I'm with her. We're fine. You go and be with Bhabhi. Don't stress on the meeting. It's too late now. Don't worry." Adash patted Sanskar's shoulder and went to his room.

***

Ragini gulped down water in a hurry from the bottle which Sankar fetched from the couch. He could see her hands still shivering and throat screaming for more water. He closed his eyes sighing, "when will this girl start thinking about herself?"

"Ragz.. You want to talk?" Sanskar asked softly.

What he got in return was a blank stare from Ragini. 'Of course, she will dodge this too.' He thought withdrawing himself to look here and there calming down his mind.

"Koi baat...." Sanskar's words abruptly came to an end as he saw his Ragz nodding her head in a yes. Her tears continued to flow but not like before. Sanskar held her other hand too promising his support as she tried to mumble something but failed miserably.

All that escaped her throat was air. She couldn't voice out as her voice subsided into muffled sobs. She wanted to protect everyone but she herself was succumbing to the storms. She wanted to hide and let know him nothing once, but now she want him to be beside her at every step. But, at each step, God tests her; compels her to give upon her wishes.

And it was Sanskar's turn to feel miserable. Didn't he vow to be her pillar at every phase of life? Didn't he want to make sure that tears would escape her eyes only with a lip curved upwards? Didn't he want to become her best friend, her companion?