[16] Put Your Head On My Shoulder | The Forbidden Zone IV | Tease

Bubbling from Topper's new boat was the only sounds that filled my ears as Pope climbed back onto his father's boat, dripping wet. Inwardly, I seethed.

"Wow, you did it," JJ gushed, excitement flickering across his face. "I am so proud of you right now. Holy crap."

I stayed facing away from them, unwilling to participate in their actions. I was disappointed in Pope, for going against his own rule of staying out of trouble, and I was mad at myself, for telling Heyward I'd keep his son out of trouble. Most of all, I couldn't look at JJ because I disgusted on how he could lead his perfectly pure friend down this road. There was no turning back now, not as the boat was half submerged underneath the water.

"You can't tell anybody," Pope stressed, breathing heavily from adrenaline.

"Oh, no, yeah. Totally, dude–"

"No, I'm serious, dude. Not Kie, not John B, nobody," Pope freaked. "You hear that, Bee?"

I nodded, still looking away from the boys. "Our lips are sealed. Give me that. Give me that," JJ said, grabbing the plug out of Pope's hand, launching the small piece of metal into the ocean. "Okay! Let's get out of here!"

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

  Surfing was something I didn't do. So, I stayed at John B's house, placing frozen vegetables to the side of my face in hopes that the bruise wouldn't be too nasty when they came back. Luckily, it was getting dark when they found me laying in the hammocks outside.

Pope and John B shared the one next to mine, while JJ slid in next to me and Kiara balanced at the other end. I stiffened next to JJ, still upset over Topper's boat. I had the communal ukulele in my hands, plucking the cords to 'Put Your Head on My Shoulder'. Everyone listened in silence, enjoying the music after an evening of rough waves.

"Put your head on my shoulders. Hold me in your arms, baby. Squeeze me oh so tight, show me that you love me too," I sang softly, strumming the appropriate cords, my fingers jumping accordingly. JJ rested his head on my shoulder, his hair tickling my neck as I continued. I clenched my jaw, angling my head slightly away.

"Put your lips next to mine, dear. Won't you kiss me once, baby. Just a kiss goodnight, maybe. You and I will fall in love," I continued. I smiled in the dark as Kie put my feet on her lap, scooting closer to me. All my anger towards Pope and JJ expelling as she tickled the souls of my feet.

"People say that loves a game. A game you just can't win. If there's a way. I'll find it someday. And then this fool will rush in."

"Put your head in my shoulder. Whisper in my ear, baby. Words I want to hear. Tell me, tell me that you love me too," I finished, but continued to pluck the cords lightly, inviting my friends to speak over my soft music. By the end of the song, I stopped trying to get away from JJ, welcoming his advances, or whatever he was trying to do. I guess it could be called snuggling.

"Beautiful, Bee," Kie whispered, tapping my foot.

JJ nuzzled deeper into my neck, "Beautiful, Bee," he mocked in a high pitch voice, but this time in comparison to all the other times he mocked me, I wasn't upset. Perhaps that was because I could feel his soft breaths on my neck, the hot air sending shivers down my spin.

"You really think it's out there? Like no bullshit?" Pope asked John B, the sound of my ukulele fading into the background.