Chapter 9

Newt stares at Percival nervously, he's unsure how to go about this. He doesn't want to say that it's his favour for saving Percival, because he doesn't expect anything in return for that, he's just glad Percival is okay. He also can't allow Percival to go around telling people about an Obscurial being here, because half of the American Ministry is after Credence.

"Um, Mr. Graves." Newt starts, he still doesn't know what to say, but he thinks maybe if he just tells Percival the situation, maybe he'll understand and want to help.

Percival turns to look at him, but is looking at Newt like he's grown two heads.

"Percival, you can call me Percival. Newt what in the hell have you gotten yourself into now?!" Percival demands, and Newt frowns at him.

"I'm not sure what you mean Mister, I mean Percival." Newt says, he doesn't understand what Percival's talking about.

"That boy is the Obscurial that Grindelwald wants, I've heard his followers talk about it, isn't he dangerous?" Percival looks like he doesn't really think that Credence is dangerous, but has to ask anyways.

"He's... well not dangerous. He's Obscurial can be, but it's somehow acting more in the form of protection than anything else right now," Newt explains. "But Percival, please don't tell anyone he's here. The Ministry will try to kill him, they believe he's a threat to their secrecy, but I'm trying to help him get rid of the Obscurial, if the Ministry finds out he's with the Goldstein's and I, well they'll probably take him and arrest us for lying to them. He's harmless and really sweet really." Newt tells him, with a serious expression, and Percival stares at him.

"I wasn't going to tell anyone, but can you tell me how you even got him away from the Ministry." Percival requests, and Newt nods.

"First of all, I own a case that contains magical creatures, I'm protecting, caring for and looking after. Most of them have just been injured and I'll return them home once they're well again, but others are on the verge of extinction, and I've kept them from becoming extinct. My case has extension charms, so when we heard the Aurors coming down into the subway, I got Credence inside my case, and we told them that Credence had fled." Newt tells him, with a nervous look on his face.

Graves stares at him for a minute, before nodding with a frown. Newt doesn't know how he'll react, or if he'll try to take his creatures away from him.

"Your sure that this boy isn't a threat?" Percival questions hesitantly.

"Well, he could hurt people for sure, but he never means to. It's a reaction, and mostly happens when he feels threatened, or someone he knows is being threatened. He doesn't want to harm anyone." Newt explains, and Graves nods.

"I won't tell the Ministry, but you have to be careful around him, he could hurt you." Percival responds, and Newt blinks.

"Actually, he seems to be protecting me, his Obscurial is anyways." Newt assures, and Percival rubs a hand over his knuckles nervously.

"I guess we kind of already seen that for ourselves." Percival states, and Newt flushes.

"I suppose we have." Newt mutters shyly, Percival sends him a small smile.

____________________

Gellert is a patient man, but right now, he's not patient at all. Since mentioning to Gellert Newton's injuries, some plain looking Auror has been interrogating him, and won't tell him anything about Newton, or where Auror Goldstein went. It's making Gellert itch uncomfortably, and he wants to lash out, but his magic is bound, and he's always cuffed to the table. 

It's infuriating, but there's nothing Gellert can do, so he plays with the plain looking Auror until he gets so frustrated he leaves the interrogation room in a rush, and Gellert is pleased. The problem is, he isn't as pleased as he'd usually be. His mind keeps wandering back to Newton, if he's okay, if he survived. Where he is, if he's being treated, or if he's at home resting. 

It's rather jarring, and Gellert can't get him out of his head. It's almost as infuriating as not hearing anything about Newton, but a part of him wonders why Goldstein has disappeared too. Is Newton so badly hurt that Goldstein is with him? Or did they pull her from the case to stir Gellert up? He wants to know, wants to know that Newton is okay. 

Because despite his plans, and despite sentencing him to death, Gellert doesn't really want to hurt him. He showed Newton and Goldstein too much of himself, and he knew Newt was catching on, and Gellert couldn't have that. It worked against him anyways though, didn't it, because he got caught. 

Caught, and he has no idea where Credence is. Gellert has a vague feeling that Newton has him, is protecting him. A part of Gellert wants to demand he sees Goldstein, and that he won't talk to anyone else, but he has a feeling that won't work this time.

__________________

Tina really hates being an Auror sometimes, especially when she has to deal with whiny dark lord, that want to know the condition her best friend is in. It's bad enough Tina and Queenie have to reassure Credence that Newt will be fine, but now she has to inform a dark lord about how Newt's doing. It makes her wrinkle her nose, and a headache forms behind her eyes. 

Picquery told her to get back into the office, because the Auror she assigned to Grindelwald is having a hard time getting anything from him. Picquery for some reason believes that Tina will be able to get more from him. Tina doubts it, but if she promises to tell him about Newt, maybe he'll tell her a thing, or two. Or maybe if she allows him to ask any question he wants.

Picquery told her to handle it, so she assumes that Picquery doesn't really care what strategy Tina uses, as long as she gets what Picquery wants from him. Tina thinks she might allow some information about Newt to pass, but she isn't sure how much would be acceptable, and wouldn't Grindelwald want to hear it from Newt.

Tina sighs, and rubs her forehead tiredly, this is going to be a long day.

"Hello, Grindelwald." Tina greets, and Grindelwald's head snaps up at her voice, an emotion she can't read in his eyes. A long day indeed.