[ 01. ]

☤

The hoards of brown boxes in May Kataoka's apartment grated on her fragile nerves. She squeezed through doorways and between stacks without grace, stubbing her toe every so often. The exhaustion of lifting and bending over caused her back to ache, her body thoroughly unhappy with the process of unpacking.

Maybe if she hadn't spent all the previous day lounging around and binging the latest medical drama, it wouldn't have gotten as bad as it did. Even if none of it was plausible, it was fun to watch. May had laid on her couch in the dark, shoving her face full of noodles with a soft blanket cradling her body. She adjusted periodically. Any sudden movements and the delicate balance of box towers would crumble around her.

Her lazy night placed her schedule behind. It did nothing to ease the mounding stress in the back of her head. The alarm clock blared at six in the morning, reminding May of the work left to do and her day ahead. The piles upon piles of boxes never seemed to end. The hours that ticked by on the clock created an impending sense of doom.

The place that Director Nezu had selected for her to live was modern and sleek, with a color palette of stormy greys and light blues. Almost every wall was a window, with automatic shades and brand-new appliances. Her little minimalist heart pitter-pattered at the visions of her home after she finished unpacking.

If that was ever going to happen, she thought.

In regards to Nezu, she had never seen such a strange little character. His beady eyes and snow-white fur caught her off guard. May had a hard time believing he was in charge of a hospital. Not that being a mouse-like animal restricted his career options, it was the absolute last thing she expected. But he knew his stuff.

During the interview, they had terrific conversations surrounding her scientific passions. Nezu engaged in everything from arterial reinforcement to mobile casts. May remembered how it felt to speak to others with such high intellect. He even made her feel a tad dumb. Her brain hurt after his endless barrage of questions, which was a rare feat to accomplish.

May needed to be at the private hospital by nine o'clock. Her thoughts loomed with clouds of stress. She didn't get to see it or tour it. This was unusual when it came to job offers. A tour of the facilities occurred during the interview, not after the applicant had accepted.

She tried not to look too deep into it, partly because she was the first of her classmates to receive a job. Her worries quelled during her fellowship, which was out of this world. She was able to learn so many new techniques from talented professionals.

It was a dream come true to her. That little mouse must've pulled strings for me or something. May managed to clear most of the boxes, finally seeing the dark mahogany floors below. Sweat gathered on her forehead, jumping ship and dripping down her neck.