[ 05. ]

☤

May's pulse roared in her ears. She had texted Aizawa while she was drunk, presumably getting his number from Yamada at some point in the night. May started brushing her teeth vigorously out of stress, the glitter on her face sparkling in the bright bathroom light.

The remnants of her makeup were smeared all over her face. May looked down at her feet, seeing a single hot pink polished big toe. What even happened? Then, more questions flooded her brain.

What was she even going to say to him? That's three first impressions that went horrendously wrong. She was going to have to face both of them in a couple of days.

"So." Eiko had her arms crossed at the doorway, with May's other two friends close behind. She sighed, the toothbrush hanging in her mouth. "When were you going to tell us that you knew Present Mic? And how you know his first name? Like—"

She threw up her hands, her eyebrows were angled sharply upwards. That's how May knew Eiko was upset. There were only a couple of times that May had seen that look.

Once, in particular, was because May refused to wear Eiko's new shoes to a convention. The result of ignoring her friend's request meant three weeks of a cold Eiko, her nose upturned anytime May would emerge around a corner. The other time was when May tripped, Eiko's most expensive perfume shattering on the floor of their apartment.

The aloofness only lasted a day, comparatively. May was not in the right frame of mind to deal with the wrath of Eiko. She sighed and motioned her friends towards her bed, glitter still all over the place. It was the typical post-night recollection.

"It's a long story," May started.

It took about an hour for May to explain everything, but the more she led on, the more excited and interested they became. Sara was at the edge of her seat, her eyes sparkling as May went through each hero she met.

Of course, she didn't tell them everything. Which, internally, made May's stomach ache. She knew she was doing the right thing, however. When May got toward the end of her experience, she could feel emotion swelling up inside of her.

"It's so much." Sara put her hand on May as she could feel her lips trembling. "I—I went to medical school and I— I can't help but feel I'm disappointing everyone. I could be helping people, and I'm stuck. This isn't where I thought my life would go."

Before her friends could truly comfort her, May started wailing. Her friends always joked that the only time they would see her cry was after a gin and tonic. Post-alcohol emotions always ran high for her. It was an absolute mess of incoherent speech and blubbering.

"And my coworker saw me drunk in the club? And then, and then, I texted my other coworker who already hates me—"

May was swarmed by a group hug, her best friends circling around her and hugging her as she cried off the remainder of the drunk makeup. There wasn't much left anyway.