[ 11. ]

☤

"There's been an attack."

She didn't even have the chance to ask what happened, or what was going on. The student, a tall boy with disheveled black hair, nodded.

"Alright," May said. She had a moment before speaking again. A split second to gather her thoughts.

"We need you to be ready."

She remembered the feeling, slowly presenting itself at the tips of her fingers and extending through her chest. The moment her beeper would blink. A code. The alarms that would blare over the hospital speaker, alerting the entire building that someone was dying. Staff would swarm the halls like locusts. It was a calm panic. No, that wasn't right. External stoicism, internal hysterics.

Attempting to clear her mind, May focused on getting her equipment together.

Shit, she didn't draw that morning. Everything was older, therefore weaker.

"I'll be ready in a minute," May said, her voice staying level.

The instructors started deliberating with each other, discussing their plan of attack. It wasn't anything that concerned May. She gathered a black backpack, taking some bags from her fridge and placing them carefully inside.

Mentally, she thanked herself for prepping an emergency kit.

And cursed herself for not drawing.

"MEBO-1." May looked to one of her robots. "Follow me. Begin protocol zero-zero-six-one."

Her movements were calm, not moving too fast, nothing unbalanced. The robot blinked. Its eye lights shifted from green to white.

"MEBO-2, perform idle care operations."

A chirp echoed in response.

May slipped on her backpack straps and looked to the instructors. "I'm ready."

They stopped talking and stopped planning. Vlad King looked to her. She knew what he saw. An average citizen with an advanced degree. That's it.

"Are you sure? We thought you should stay here—"

"You don't know what you're facing," May said, tightening the straps. Her calf muscles tensed, preparing for the action. "Someone may need help right away. This is why I'm here, isn't it?"

Midnight skidded around a corner. She shook her head and threw up her arms.

"What're you all standing there for?" She yelled down the hall. "Come on!"

May pushed up her glasses and gave a single nod to Vlad King. He reciprocated. With the student in tow, they started down the hall at a jog. The bag was heavy on her back, and it attempted to slow her down.