[ 13. ]

☤

May's fingers twitched. The light of the kitchen slowly edged in her field of vision. What happened? She pressed her palm against the wooden floor. Her head was pounding like a constant bass drum. The blood roaring in her ear created an alarming chorus to accompany it. When she pushed to lift herself, her arms shook and she collapsed back to the ground.

She turned her head toward her phone. It was vibrating on the floor, moving on its own accord. Stretching her fingers, she tried to will her phone toward her. It didn't work. May threw her whole body into a roll, and dizziness set in. She squeezed her eyes shut to stop the endless spinning.

It's right there, I can get to it. I just need to level myself out. Yeah, yeah. I'll be able to get up here soon.

Now facing the ceiling, May opened her eyes to watch it twirl and dance in her vision. Her hand managed to grab her phone, and she shakily held it above her. It buzzed in her hand, lighting up with an unclear contact picture.

I can't see the answer button. It's usually green, isn't it? Gah, why isn't anything straight?

She took a gamble and pressed on the brightest button. Her hand flopped back, resting against her ear with her phone.

"Hello?"

"May, what in the goddamn fuck is going on?"

May took a deep breath.

"Ah, um. Hey, Eiko."

"You have no right to be so casual right now." Her friend's voice shook with anger. Nails drummed against a solid surface in the background. "I'm staring at the news talking about the press and how they broke through your school. Then! Then—when I call you, you don't answer! After what? Twenty-five calls?"

"I don't know... I—I haven't checked. What day is it?"

"What day is it? You've gotta be kidding me, May. Are you serious?" Eiko exhaled into the phone as she spoke. May could hear her hand slam onto the hard surface.

"I'm— I'm afraid not. Before I say anything else, can I say... I'm sorry for bringing up the operation."

May sighed, lifting her other hand. The ceiling was no longer a torrent of white. It was more of a gentle breeze, moving back and forth like a porch swing.

"Fine, it's whatever I don't care anymore," Eiko said, her harsh words spitting over the speaker. "You have explaining to do."

"Eiko, wait—"

"Don't Eiko, wait me. I've been waiting for three hours!" She said, and her nails started drumming again. "Alright, explain yourself."

"Do you know what time it is?" May asked, moving to sit up. Her body leaned back as she tried to balance herself. She used her other hand to prop up her head.