Even Forever Doesn't Last

the memories of that day were still fresh on your mind, the vows, the promise to love each other through all the ups and downs, forever, and ever, until your last breath.

she looked beautiful that day, walking down the aisle, she was the most astazing piece of art you have ever laid your eyes upon and you couldn't feel more blessed for finding someone like Lena to spend the rest of your days with.

there were so many words to describe Lena. mesmerizing, astounding, stunning, astonishing, among other words, but they certainly weren't enough to portray her true beauty.

and despite the ill-fitting words that the majority of the world uses to describe Lena, despite her being a Luthor, you still loved her with all your heart and soul. and for you to find yourself in this situation was, to say the least, excruciating.

you had arrived home early from work, wanting to surprise your wife, as tonight was supposed to be your 4th wedding anniversary, and all you wanted for tonight was to get to spend it with Lena, drink wine, have a romantic dinner, cuddle, watch a bad rom-com and whatnot.

however, you're the one caught off guard when you spot boxes lying around in your living room, boxes which, under a quick investigation, contained Lena's belongings.

first of all, Lena was here already, which in on itself was unusual considering she usually spent later nights in her office.

second, she was packing, and it didn't seem like it was for one of her out of country conference meetings or a surprise vacation, not when she seemed to have packed more than she would need for a few weeks' worths of break.

she sees you, but she doesn't stop.

a frown makes its way on your face as you simply stood there by the door frame, the sight making mixed feelings stir up inside you.

"Honey, what are you doing?"

"leaving," Lena answers, not even bothering to look at you.

you approach her, unable to stop yourself from trembling, your anxiety grew inevitably with every step you took. "what do you mean you're leaving?"

"you," she says, her voice trembling, "I'm leaving you."

surprised, it takes a moment for you to collect yourself, "no, you're not."

she heaves a sigh before brushing past you, her briefcase in hand, "I can't do this anymore, Y/n."

"what do you- did I do something?" you pleaded, trailing behind her as she made her way around the suite, "Lena, please talk to me, love."

the CEO ceases in her steps, feeling a part of her breaking in hearing you call her "love" despite her acting coldly, it was one of the things she loved about you.

she shakily took a deep breath, turning around once she'd gathered enough courage.

"I don't love you anymore," says Lena.

"and I'm sorry, I'm so sorry for keeping this up for so long but I can't do this anymore Y/n," she admits, "I can't keep pretending and lying to you every single day," she added.

"you deserve better than that, Y/n."

the admission barely registered itself on your head, denial is indeed a very powerful thing, but not powerful enough to deafen you. it felt harder to breathe all of a sudden, it was as if there was an invisible weight, weighing down heavily on your lungs, suffocating you with your own mistakes.

gulping, "you don't mean that." you finally said.

"Y/n..." Lena sighed, her voice somewhat resigned.

you hated it. the look of pity in her eyes. it took every ounce of your being to convince yourself that she didn't mean it because...

she couldn't possibly mean it. could she?

"do you want me to beg? is that it?"

a look of pain crosses her features as she eyed you with a pitiful gaze, "Y/n, please, don't -"

"do you want to be the bigger person? the one with all the power?" you say, "do you want me to get on my knees? because I will if that's what you want."

"Y/n, no, that's not— Y/n-" the Luthor faltered, eyes gleaming with unshed tears, "I'm leaving, and I'm sorry that I hurt you, Y/n, I really, really am sorry, but please trust me, this is better for the both of us."

she turns around to leave but you immediately latch yourself on her arm, clinging to it as if it was your lifeline, crying.

Lena didn't move, but she didn't want to look behind either, didn't want to see the hurt she had caused you, it was too much for her, and for you too.

if she were being honest, she didn't want to leave.

but she had to, knowing that it'd only hurt you more if she'd stayed.

"I need you," you begged, "I love you, Lena, please don't leave me, I'll give you the world, please, I'll beg for you." you cried, holding on to Lena tighter, and it just makes the brunette's chest to grow tighter, her eyes brimming with tears, "I'm on my knees, see? I'll do anything, just please, Lena, please! don't leave me."

even thinking of leaving you destroyed Lena's soul in ways she couldn't have fathomed, It wasn't an easy decision to choose to leave even though it was the only right option available.

maybe she was indeed a Luthor, maybe she was just as cruel, just as vile and as hurtful as everyone says she is.

but she didn't want to make you hurt you any longer, didn't want to drown in the guilt of being showered by the love that she didn't feel like she deserved, staying would only make matters hurt worse, and she didn't want that.

in the end, she never meant to hurt you.

this was the only way.

so she left you there, alone with your burdens, tears streaming down your cheeks as gut-wrenching sobs erupted from your throat and wracked your body, you were far too exhausted, you couldn't breathe, couldn't feel anything but pain, it was as if like a massive part of you was long gone and irredeemable.