To Love Is To Lose

as a kid, you've never really thought much about falling in love, the concept seemed silly, why would you need someone else when you can just be good old independent you, it didn't seem so hard.

but right now as you were laying down staring blankly into the dimly lit ceiling of your apartment, you couldn't help but question yourself.

you're not in love, pfft, of course, you're not.

why would you be? it's not like your best friend is the epitome of "perfect", it's not like you have this urge to just be there for them whenever they need you, it's not as if you're willing to pretty much just sacrifice everything for their sake, right?

Oh, you were so terribly wrong.

and it hurt being wrong.

it hurt seeing them so happy with someone else.

you should be happy, to be honest, but that's not the case, isn't it?

you're right there, you are RIGHT THERE and you have ALWAYS been right there beside them, but why did they have to choose someone else? why couldn't they have just chosen you?

"what's wrong, kiddo?"

oh...right, did I not mention Alex has a key?

out of instinct, you immediately reach for the blanket which lay loosely by your feet with the intent of using it to hide your tear-stained face, when did you even start crying?

unfortunately for you, Alex manages to grab the blanket first, without much choice, you hide your face in your hands.

"Hey, hey— hey!" before you knew it, Alex was all of a sudden by your side hugging you tightly.

"what happened?"

you shake your head, "they don't like me, like me,"

"oh, y/n/n," she coos.

Alex lifts you up for a moment, resting your head on her chest a hand wrapped around you while the other combed through your hair.

"you, y/n Danvers are going to be okay... you are brave and strong, I love you and I am so proud of you..."

"I love you too,"

For a while, Alex holds you close until eventually, you dose off, she carries you to bed, cautiously tucking you in before pressing a kiss to your forehead and leaving for the DEO.