Chapter 16: When In Rome

Thousands of colours seemed to swirl seamlessly in my mind like a rainbow river going down a celestial plug hole. As they billowed and spun in the invisible wind all that was left behind was a beautiful view of ancient Rome. The scenery seemed like one out of a travel brochure. I rubbed at my eyes in disbelief as people shuffled by in a buzz. I whipped around in search of Angelo or maybe stupid Cupid, but only saw unfamiliar faces in the crowds. Just as I was about to ask someone about where I truly was, a girl with long dark hair bumped into my shoulder roughly.

"I'm so sorry, mister."

My mouth fell open.

Was this girl blind? How on earth could she have mistaken me for a man?

I turned to tell her off properly but the words got stuck in my throat at the sight of her.

Her skin was so pale that as I drew closer to her figure it almost blinded me. She had a long white gown on and straight black hair on top of which a small flower crown sat daintily.

"I didn't mean to run into you. I hope you will be kind enough to pardon me. I am in a hurry you see."

Each syllable she said sang with its own sweet sound.

She tore out her eyes wide like a child after brushing her hair which had fallen in her face upon our collision and that was when I saw it.

Holy shit.

This girl was me!

A less tanned and pure version of me.

I stood there in shock and she took that as a silent confirmation of me forgiving her. After one sweet smile of appreciation, she was on her way.

"She's beautiful, isn't she?"

I jumped as the breath of someone brushed against the nape of my neck.

I looked up to find Angelo, his silvery eyes following my doppelgänger with an expression I had never seen before. It was almost as if he was smitten. Something about him being interested in her caused my skin to itch.

"Not really. She looks a bit too pale for my liking. It easily makes her come off as being sickly, but if you're into those types of girls..." I gave a noncommittal shrug.

"I prefer the term 'moonkissed', but you do realize that you are insulting yourself, right?"

He saw the shock register on my face before I could hide it. A small smile played on his lips, I guess he expected that much. "It is not a secret that there is no logical way of getting to ancient Rome within the span of minutes other than time-traveling. I said I was going to show you and that is exactly what I am doing. Now come," he beckoned for me to follow him. "Let's trail her. It will be impossible for you to be able to see how we met if we lose track of her at this point in time."

I didn't complain when he crossed the line and took a hold of my hand to lead the way.

It was mainly because after all that shock settled down inside of me, there felt like there was something weighing down on my brain...and body. I was basically dragging my feet behind him because of such an inexplicable fatigue.

We finally caught up to my raven-haired doppelgänger and when we had it was just in time to see her staring up at the stone building before her in awe. Her eyes twinkled with newfound curiosity before she took a piece of paper and started writing down something.

"She's making a journal entry so that she doesn't forget the feeling of being in this moment." Angelo explained, his eyes fixated on her.

"How boring."