Chapter 29: A Caged Bird

Felix screamed as I hoisted him into the air, his arms hanging onto my tightly as I flew us up and up into the sky. He was much louder than his brother, swearing like a sailor as he begged me not to drop him. I didn't, but the kid didn't stop screaming until I landed on top of the tall skyscraper I had taken his brother to before. Felix's legs were like jelly, much like Milo's had been, and face pale. He leaned over on his knees, sucking in breaths as he apparently tried not to vomit.

"Uh, you okay, kid?" I asked, Felix nodding, but the motion only made him grow paler. "I'll give you a minute, but when you're not about to throw up climb up here." I pointed to a ladder behind me, which lead up to the concrete stair box. Felix took a minute or two to swallow back his vomit, before climbing up to meet me. I sat crossed legged on the concrete, wings resting softly behind my back. 

Felix just stood there awkwardly, before I snickered, patting the space next to me. The boy blushed, dropping down, legs tucked in to his chest.

"So is this your, uh, spot, or something?" Felix asked, voice a little nervous as he peeked at me with a sideways glance. 

"Well, the building belongs to the bank, pretty sure," I said jokingly, pointing at the bank logo behind us. Felix managed a laugh, wrapping his arms around his knees, resting his chin there as he turned to look at me fully.

"I can see that. I mean, this. The rooftop, this spot. It doesn't seem like anyone else comes here, or can even get here," Felix said, noting the rusted door to the roof. 

"Yeah. It's a shame, though. Look at the view. It's a waste if no one gets to see it," I said, smiling behind my mask. It was hard to convey emotion, anything I say hidden behind my mask and goggles, so I had to try and smooth my voice - gravelly and very Christian Bale - to sound more comforting than normal. "The view is probably happy that it's been admired now, even if only by three people."

"Three?" Felix asked, eyebrows pinching slightly. I could see where his question was going, and I didn't quite get why I was so nervous. I mean, he technically already knew what I was going to tell him, but I wasn't going to drag this on any longer and get the poor kid's hopes up. 

"Yeah," I said, holding up three fingers and wiggling them playfully, my metal talons reflecting the moonlight. "You get to claim lucky spot number three, following me and my boyfriend."

"B-Boyfriend? You have a..." Felix asked, sounded like he had been winded. He flinched at the word, the movement almost imperceivable. He couldn't quite hide the disappointed look in his eyes, his knees shuffling closer to his chest as he hugged himself tighter. I felt bad for letting him down, but it was better to do it now before he got any more invested in his fantasies. 

"Mhmm. Is that surprising?" I asked, acting casual - maybe borderline too casual, considering the way Felix's expression only soured a little more. "Didn't think someone like me could get a boyfriend, huh? Such little faith in me, kid."

"No, that's not what I... I just didn't realise that you, um, were taken," Felix mumbled, blushing as he pulled the sleeve of his hoodie over his knuckles, pressing them to his face to obscure his expression. "Does he know about your..." Felix pointed at my wings, and I chuckled.

"Yep," I said, voice fond. "Naturally, he was the first person who found out, granted it was accidental. He had been there when Maggie and Piper popped up. Plus, these guys are pretty hard to hide, I'm sure he would've found out sooner or later." Felix nodded at my words, a little glumly. He seemed to think through his next words thoroughly in the silence that spanned the next few moments, nursing his bottom lip between his teeth.

"He sounds pretty understanding," Felix finally said, offering me a forced smile, and I nodded. "Have you, uh, been together for long?" My hesitance at his question made Felix fret for a bit, quickly adding a "sorry, that was probably too personal. I mean, it's not like we're... friends."