xii. Volunteered Detention

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

chapter twelve | volunteered detention

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

FRED whipped around at the sound of the door creaking open, but his expression softened at the sight of Kaya in the doorway.

"What're you doing here?" he asked with a grin. Kaya wasn't really sure herself.

"I dunno," she said slowly. "I just... I feel bad. You didn't have to sort him out, it would've stopped you from getting a detention,"

Fred shrugged.

"I get detentions all the time, it's like a daily thing,"

Kaya chuckled.

"That's what Jae said," she nodded. "So... what do you have to do?"

"Sort out this," said Fred, gesturing to a huge bookshelf behind him, books dusty, slanting to the left or right. "Without magic, of course,"

"Ugh, I feel bad," Kaya groaned.

"Don't," said Fred. "The only thing that does annoy me is the fact that Andrew doesn't even have a punishment,"

Kaya propped herself up on a desk as he spoke, before lying down on its vertical side, her long strands of hair hanging off the sides.

"Oh, I can sort that," she said, as Fred removed another pile from the shelf.

"No, I mean like an actual punishment-" He began, with a smile at the girl's self assurance.

"Yeah, like I said. I'll give him detention. I can come up with something reasonable for Professor Sprout."

Fred laughed.

"What-?" He said with a puzzled expression, before his eyes landed on a yellow badge hanging from Kaya's robes. "Oh," he said with surprise.

"Didn't you know I was a prefect?" she asked. He shook his head.

"You don't seem the type," said Fred.

"The type," Kaya repeated with a grin. "What's that then, Weasley?"

Fred paused for a second.

"Uh..."

The girl giggled.

"Don't worry, I've heard you say before - 'Only prats become prefects'."

"I- Well- I didn't mean all prefects..."

Kaya continued to laugh, watching the boy's attempt at redeeming himself.

"It's fine," she said. "To be fair, you're right most of the time. But, I like to think I put the diversity in prefects because the last time I checked, I don't think I'm a prat?"