xxiii. fall of one

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑻𝑾𝑬𝑵𝑻𝒀 𝑻𝑯𝑹𝑬𝑬
❝ 𝒇𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒐𝒇 𝒐𝒏𝒆 ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

SEPARATING THEMSELVES BEFORE ANYONE COULD SAY anything, Vera and Legolas — along with the rest of the Fellowship — sprint through the Mines of Moria

SEPARATING THEMSELVES BEFORE ANYONE COULD SAY anything, Vera and Legolas — along with the rest of the Fellowship — sprint through the Mines of Moria. Vera sprints behind the Hobbits, ensuring their safety before hers and helping Gimli pass by.

Gandalf stops at a corner, ushering everyone to cross the slim bridge that presented itself before them. Vera didn't have time to grimace or try and help Gandalf for the wizard wasn't paying attention to her. Recklessly, they cross the bridge with no hesitation, wearily watching their step and making sure they didn't fall to their doom.

Vera reaches the other side quickly, stopping by the mouth to lead the Hobbits towards the staircase that ensures their safety and exit. Legolas passes her quickly, followed by the rest of the Fellowship. Taking a headcount, Vera frantically pushes past the passing members to find Gandalf, the missing one in their Fellowship.

"Gandalf?" she calls out in confusion, watching as the wizard stops in the middle of the slim crossing. She feels her breath stop. The Balrog makes his appearance, towering over Gandalf with his large wings and forty-feet frame. Vera stays frozen, watching the scene before her. Gandalf looks pathetic standing next to the flaming monster.

Vera doesn't move. She, despite her mind's protests to get out of the Mines and her feä's whinings to leave the place, stayed in her spot, frozen and paralyzed with denial and fear for the only thing closest to her grandparents. To her mother.

No.

"Gandalf!" Frodo yells. "Vera! Help him!" She wanted to. She needed to. But her body couldn't move. Her senses seem to be going into overdrive before reaching the state of total numbness inside her. She couldn't hear anything, the voices and noises around her sounding like she was underwater, blurring together to create nothing but mumblings.

This can't be happening.

Her eyes are covered with tears, a human weakness that becomes her, as she watches her friend chant against the monster. To buy them time and a chance of survival. "I am a servant of the secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn." A white force-field surrounds Gandalf as the Balrog steps forward.

Please, no.

She could feel Aragorn screaming at Frodo and Boromir, wanting the rest of the members to move before they were attacked. An arrow whizzes past Vera's ear but she takes no notice, only staying in her place as she watches in disbelief of the moments awaiting to come. "Go back to the shadow!" The Balrog swings at Gandalf.