Not A Fairy-tale

Mel's POV

I walked home with a slight skip in my step, one fuelled by an evening of happy memories under the sunset. It was around half 5, so I knew that mom wasn't going to be too happy with me coming home so late but it seemed that the events of the day had just made the worry slide off of me like there was a waterproof coating around my happiness. However, I couldn't have predicted the torrential rain that was about to fall as I opened the door.

"Melody..." A gruff voice sounded causing me to stand rooted by the doorway.

"Melody, come in love..." My mother's voice could be heard echoing through the room. I still hadn't located the sources of either of these voices, my head darting back and forth around the house. That was until my mom stepped out of the door to the lounge. Then, following behind her, out my father stepped. I glared at him the second our eyes locked. What was he doing back here?

"W... why did you let him in..." I addressed my mom, stuttering.

"He... has something he wants to say to you, Melody..." My mother answered, nudging my dad slightly, forcing him out of the doorway and closer to me. My immediate reaction was to step back and put as much distance between us as possible, but I wanted to show him that he did not affect me anymore so instead, I stepped towards him.

"What?" I snapped at him, crossing my arms. He said nothing, chucking an envelope at me. I caught it, looking down at the paper in disgust.

"What is it?" I asked, looking back up at him. He just nodded his head as if to say, 'find out for yourself'. I rolled my eyes at his inability to talk to his own child and peeled open the envelope only to find a load of bills fall out onto my hands.

"It's your college money... I earnt it back..." A single tear ran down my cheek as my father stated this and I wiped it away with the back of my hand.

"I... I... Thank you," I said, locking our gazes, softly this time.

"Don't. I don't deserve that- I took it when it wasn't mine." He said this almost as if he felt bad about what he had done to us- as if he cared. Two months ago, my acceptance letter for MSM had come in the mail only for me and my mother to find out that the tuition was far more than we could pay, even with a student loan. This money might be enough to pay for just the first year while I get a job on the side. That... on top of a small loan might mean I could go to my dream school. The concept of that just bewildered me and I stood, frozen for a few seconds before turning to my mom.

"Does this mean...?" She nodded, knowing what I was going to say before I had even said it. I smiled, just to myself, because... I was happy. I looked up at the guilty look on my father's face and, just by instinct, walked forward to hug him. He tried to protest but I just shushed him, hugging him tighter.

"Thank you. For choosing the right thing..." I said once I had removed my arms from around him. He may have made some stupid decisions but at least this one time he made the right one- at least this one time he learnt something.

It was then I spotted a small face peering into the room from behind the doorway.

"Ali..." I called out to the girl, who smiled and walked into the room, sucking a lolly.

"Hiya..." She murmured nervously and I smiled, reaching down to hug her too.

"I love you..." I whispered into her hair.

"Ugh... what is it with everyone and the hugging today?" She moaned as I pulled away from her, making us all laugh.

***

My mom, Ali and I were sat in the lounge watching some random show on the television, to be honest, I wasn't entirely sure what was even happening. Dad had left pretty soon after I had got home, I think he understood the pain he had caused us in the past and though we were open to letting him back into our lives again, it wasn't going to happen right away. Trusting him again was going to be a long and tiresome process but I was willing to take it on, and so was mom.

Ali suddenly burst out laughing, causing my mom to glance up at the clock and turn back to her.

"Bedtime Allison," She said sternly, getting a moan out of the girl in return. I stifled a laugh as mom practically dragged the kid out of the room and up the stairs. I turned off the TV, turning on my phone to text Thalia the good news. She had been waitlisted for Yale and was still waiting to hear back from them, but I had faith that the next time she heard from them, it would be nothing but good news. Her foster parents had offered to pay fifty per cent of her tuition, the rest coming from loans, but she had only allowed them to pay ten per cent. Although, they were trying their best to get it to twenty.

As I scrolled through my phone, waiting for Thalia to text back, I come across some of the unused lyrics from the song we wrote a few months back saved in my notes section:

It's not a fairy-tale

There's no happy ending

Just an endless journey

To find something worth fighting

I smiled at the memories of us sat together, brainstorming lyrics, both lost in the void they call music. Lost in the melody, lost in the sound. Each hit of the drum, each strum of the guitar. I glanced back down onto the screen as a message notification from Thalia popped up.

I'd found so many things worth fighting for...

A/N

I hoped you enjoyed! Stay safe and have a wonderful day!

Disclaimer- I'm British, not American so if I got any of the school technicalities wrong, please let me know! Thanks for reading and please don't hesitate to correct me on any grammar or spelling, it'll be really useful for when I edit!

Edited