home .43

You guys know the drill. Vote, comment, follow. Ily.

CALEB VELLA

By the time Fi was able to stand, the rest of the prisoners had run for their lives. Thomas waited for me, thanking me for my courage and determination to help them.

"So what's the plan for you guys?" I ask towards Fi and Lola as we slowly exit the front door. The sun had finally set but the light was still bright, my eyes begun to burn.

Fi clears her throat. "To find my brother," she says. "He probably thinks that we are dead."

Once we reach the cobbled floors we all stop and look at each other. "Whereabouts is he?" I question curiously.

"North but god knows where we are." She sighs before wrapping her arm around her daughter.

My eyes scan over the sky and beyond the trees, trying to remember which way I came from. Raising my finger as I point towards the distance. "That's south," I comment.

Looking back towards Fi as I point in the other direction. "So that's north," I smile at her.

"Thank you Caleb," she sniffles, her eyes beginning to water.

"Don't thank me," I say. "You guys helped me too. I wouldn't have been able to do it without you both."

Glancing down at Lola, her cheeks still stained with tears. "Come here you," I say as I wrap my arms around her tiny little body.

"Please don't tell me this is going to be the last time I see you," she mumbles into my chest, her tears dampening my top.

My heart melts at her words. "You guys can come visit me whenever," I tell her as I gently  stroke her back.

Lola's head shifts to look up at me. "Really?" Her lips wobble.

"Really."

She breaks out into a grin before hugging me tightly again. "Okay champ, you're going to have to let me go." I laugh and Lola pulls away before wiping her eyes.

As I turn to Fi she leans forward to engulf me into a hug. "I wish you all the best with you and your mate," she whispers into my ear, her voice full of empathy. "You deserve so much happiness now."

I clamp my eyes shut and hold her somewhat tighter. "Thank you,"

When we pull away, all of our eyes wet with tears. I take the first lead in walking towards the road where I came from. The sound of Lola sobbing from behind me made me not want to leave but we all had places to be.

I told them where my pack house is situated and to not hesitate coming over for a visit. Even if Fi's brother is no longer where he said he would be, if they needed somewhere to live I was going to offer.

My legs carry me for what felt like days, dehydration was kicking in and my vision becoming hazy. By only using my sense of direction and instinct, I started doubting myself. Did I know where I was going?

The pain that pounded inside my head was almost unbearable, I needed water and I needed rest. Feeling physically exhausted from using my powers against Ryker and the lack of ability to mindlink Felix, I was struggling.