chapter eight

---

---

I mentally cursed Steve out as he stuck me with Wanda. Of course. He seriously hated me or something. 

Wanda was using her powers to get as many people to leave Sokovia as possible while I ran into any major buildings, telling everyone to leave. I arrived in yet another building, moving straight towards the speaker machine, whatever it was called. Someone tried to stop me. 

"Might not want to do that, since your city is five minutes away from being destroyed," I stated, moving straight past him when he froze from my words. I then began speaking over the loudspeaker. 

People began leaving the building and I quickly scanned the building, trying to sense anyone else left. They were all moving downwards. I nodded to myself, rushing back to where I'd left Wanda. 

"How you doing?" I asked. I then noticed how many people were leaving the city with red consuming them. "Never mind. You're doing pretty well."

"Thank you," she replied, sending me a smile.

As much as I wanted to hate her, it was kind of hard to hold a grudge when Steve kept forcing me to interact with her. She made me see some pretty shitty stuff and made me have a seizure. I'd say that was a bitch move. Despite this, for some reason, my desire to hate her wasn't working and I found myself tolerating her more and more.

I didn't have a chance to say anything else before Ultron's robots emerged from the ground. 

"Fuck," I yelled. "Protect as many civilians as possible," I ordered. "Get them off the bridge."

She did as I said. She held up a shield to stop the robots shooting at the crowd behind her. I was on the other side, moving behind cars, and throwing fire at anything metal and flying. I glanced to Wanda to see her fall to the ground. I groaned in frustration, jumping onto a car adn then the robot about to shoot her again. My hand went through it's neck, ripping out as much wiring as possible. Whatever I did worked because the thing fell to the ground, with me under it. I groaned in pain, throwing it off of me. I stood. 

Suddenly, the ground began to shake. I watched as we began to rise. Worry began to fill me as the wind picked up around me. 

I noticed someone hanging onto the ledge.

"For fuck sake," I muttered, rushing forward. I laid down, leaning over the edge, holding out my hand. "Grab on."

The woman did as I said, struggling to keep herself up. I pulled her to safety, ushering her away from the edge and away from the robots. It was strange how easily I had pulled her up. It was as if someone or something was helping me. Either that or she weighed basically nothing. I looked to Wanda to see her preoccupied, so it wasn't her. I ignored it and began trying to destroy as many of the robots as I could. 

"Stark, you worry about bringing the city back down safely. The rest of us have one job: tear these things apart. You get hurt, hurt 'em back. You get killed, walk it off," Steve instructed over the comms, in an attempt to motivate us, I guess.