chapter nine

---

---

"Avengers, time to work for a living," I heard Tony say. 

I rolled my eyes as I jumped back into my stolen car. I made it to the core, parking the car and jumping out. 

"Romanoff? You and Banner better not be playing 'hide the zucchini'," Tony quipped. 

"Gross, dude, that's my sister," I groaned, rolling my eyes at him. 

"Relax, Shell-head. Not all of us can fly," Nat retorted.

Nat soon arrived, the Hulk with her. 

"What's the drill?" She asked. 

"This is the drill. If Ultron gets a hand on the core, we lose," Tony informed, gesturing to the Vibranium machine.

"No pressure, then," I muttered.

Just then Ultron arrived. 

"Is that the best you can do?" Thor yelled. 

Hundreds of robots began running and flying towards us. They all paused. 

"You had to ask," Steve sighed. 

"This is the best I can do. This is exactly what I wanted. All of you, against all of me. How could you possibly hope to stop me?" Ultron challenged. 

"Well, like the old man said. Together," Tony answered. 

The Hulk roared as the robots began to attack. I blew as many of them up as I could, occasionally using my gun to shoot them down. I was growing tired, as I suspected everyone else was. 

"Wanna maybe step it up, Anya?" Tony asked. 

"Throw me up," I instructed. 

Tony flew towards me, tossing me in the air. Fire burst from me, exploding in all directions, melting and ripping apart the robots around me. 

"Catch me," I called as I fell back down to the ground. 

The Hulk caught me in his arms, setting me aside. 

"Thanks."

I continued to fight, keeping the robots away from the core. 

Tony, Thor and Vision cornered Ultron as the rest of us continued to destroy the last of Ultron's robots. 

"They'll try to leave the city," Thor announced. 

"We can't let 'em, not even one," Tony ordered. "Rhodey."

"I'm on it," Rhodey responded. 

"We gotta move out. Even I can tell the air is getting thin. You guys get to the boats, I'll sweep for stragglers, be right behind you," Steve instructed. 

"What about the core?" Clint inquired. 

"I'll protect it. It's my job," Wanda stated.

I nodded.