Book two: Chapter 6

Varron: Well, it looks like we're about to throw down and show our skills. Maybe he won't fully join us yet, but hey, he could definitely give us some training pointers. I wonder if he's got his own dojo set up. Right now, I'm hanging with my buddy Varron. He's stepping away for a bit, so I've got the perfect chance to chat with him.

Y/n (in Bolin's style): Hey there! Just so you know, I'm not really here to ask for your membership card or anything. What I'm thinking is, you'd be a fantastic trainer for our team.

Varron sized you up, a thoughtful expression on his face. He seemed to think you were worthy of his time and attention.

Yusuke: You look like you've got some potential as a fighter. I suppose I could lend a hand and train you all.

Varron: Hold the phone! Are you saying the legendary hero himself is gonna whip us into shape? This seriously can't get any better!

Yusuke: Alright, gather around and let's channel that fighting spirit.

You and Varron followed his lead, sitting down to focus.

Varron: Got it, sensei!

Yusuke: Perfect. Now, I want you both to come at me with all you've got.

Varron: Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold up. We're just getting started, right? Maybe we need a teensy bit more time to warm up.

Y/n: Totally! A little extra prep time never hurt anyone.

Yusuke: So, you're saying you won't be launching an attack? Very well, I respect that. In that case, I'll be the one initiating.

Varron: Wait! Wait, wait, wait—

Before Varron could finish, he found himself suddenly sent into the wall by an incredibly powerful kick. It felt like it came out of nowhere!

Yusuke: Now that's the wind's power for you. If you let it flow through you, you'll feel that kind of strength.

Y/n (in Bolin's style): You got it, sensei! I'm gonna work on that and get myself wind-ready.

Yusuke: That's good to hear. But hold up, before you take off, there's a little challenge I want you to face.

He guided you into a room full of all sorts of hazardous-looking gear. You eyed the equipment nervously, but you weren't gonna let any of that spook you. You charged through the obstacles, taking some hits along the way. Finally, you reached the end, though you didn't think you did that well.

Y/n (in Bolin's style): So, spill it! How did I do?

Yusuke: I can tell you gave it your all, but I've got to be straight with you. It wasn't great. Come back when you've got a better handle on it. You've got to sync with the wind. This isn't about airbending; it's about dancing with the wind, finding strength in it. Don't let me down.

You stepped out of the training room, mulling things over.

Y/n (in Bolin's style): Man, improving sure can be a pain, huh?

Varron: Oh yeah, totally. But you know, when it's your hero giving you a hard time, it's not that bad.

Y/n (in Bolin's style): You've definitely taken more hits than I have, haven't you?

Varron: What? What do you mean by that?

Y/n (in Bolin's style): Oh, nothing, just that you're all like "getting kicked by my hero is awesome" after you got literally kicked by him.

Varron Yeah, I guess saying getting kicked by my hero is cool is kind of dumb.

Y/n (in Bolin's style): Maybe start bragging about getting hit in the head, that might actually make more sense.